Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

(In)Compatibility between versions

bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 651 ✭✭✭
edited August 2 in General Discussion
Out of curiosity, I decided to see what would happen if I saved my live version to a file and tried to import it into the beta version, and vice versa.

Attempting to import my saved beta game into the live version resulted - unsurprisingly - in an error message to the effect that the file was incompatible, being from a future version.

Going the other way - saving from the live game and importing into the beta - was more interesting. the result was rather curious. Most of the building in my live game had larger numbers associated with them than in the beta, but of course there were no Chancemakers. I was expecting one of two things to happen: either the numbers from the Live would overwrite those from the beta, possibly setting Chancemakers to zero and possibly not; or the import would simply fail with an error message.

What in fact happened was that some of the numbers were overwritten, but not all. the quantities of all buildings down to about Alchemy labs increased to match the quantities in my live game. The bigger buildings did not change. The number of Chancemakers remained unchanged at 242. Interestingly, the name of my bakery also did not change. The screen still showed one unbought kitten upgrade - one of the new ones. I did not take the time to check whether it had kept the new building upgrades that were introduced in the beta.

It looks as though it tried to import the data, and thought it had succeeded, but got hopelessly confused.

It would be interesting to see the results of other people's attempts at cross-importing. Obviously, back up BOTH versions first, to files.