Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Isle of Darkness

¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 27 in Playground

History

The government of the United States of America found even the death penalty was doing little to ward off criminals. Criminal activity was skyrocketing, and they had to do something to stop it. Then, an idea was set forward - something they came up with as a last resort. Soon after, a Barrier was set in place, a force-field that required 30 years of R&D and 10 more of construction to finally complete - this Barrier surrounded what would later be known as the Isle of Darkness. While normal jails are still present, the Isle would serve as a city the size of the entire state of New York, set aside purely for the containment of criminals that have proved too dangerous to be given the chance to stay within the country. Once someone's in, they don't get out . . . ever.

As the Isle has no actual government or police force - or any outside interference at all apart from the monthly food deliveries from the government, and the smuggling of weaponry from corrupt officers to gangs - it turned into chaos relatively quick. Gangs formed - eventually developing their own gimmicks, as you'll see below - and tried to take control of the entire Isle. At the same time, thieves, murderers and arsonists ran rampant. Ultimately, the only spots completely free of destruction ended up being the parts of the city conquered by gangs; these areas ended up getting their own construction and repair crews, as well as fire departments and hospitals, to keep their gang's members sheltered and healthy.

The year is now 2077, and you have been sentenced to the Isle. What you did? I don't care, but it had to be enough to warrant being deported off to an island far away from civilization - if it wasn't enough for that, you'd just be imprisoned in a normal jail from where you live. The gangs have formed their own themes, gimmicks to make sure they stand out from the others - the one that stands out the most generally tends to bring the most people in. Where will you go? It's your choice.

Gang list

The Keel Haulers
Pirate themed gang. Captain is Karra Grey, First Mate is John Mortis.
The Keel Haulers are perhaps the most violent of the gangs, having conquered a entire similarly themed gang in the past. When asked where they came from, most would tell you that Karra was abandoned on the outside by her own gang, and eventually deported here. In her vengeance, she swore to make them all pay, eventually forming her own gang and adopting a pirate motif. And thus, the Keel Haulers was formed - where most of those lost and abandoned people among the Isle are welcomed with open arms; if they aren't tough enough to perform adequately in the gang, they're trained until they are.
Most members are equipped with one or two cutlasses, a blunderbuss and a standard armored uniform. Higher-ranking crew members receive uniquely-made uniforms, with a higher strength armor.

Karra aims to break open the Barrier, and re-pay the outside world for everything she went through.

Current numbers: No PCs yet, general number of Keel Haulers estimated about 1.2 million.

The Blackjacks
Cards themed gang. King and Queen are Maxwell Stewart and Corrie Ander.
The Blackjacks are sort of the merchants of the gangs, having the largest trafficking for weaponry, drugs and materials to create armor(similar to the armored uniforms of other gangs). Don't provoke them without proper cause, though - they are also one of the most well-equipped of the gangs. Nobody knows how it formed, just that it sort of sprung up one day with a territory just big enough to support their large business. Most of the others are intimidated out of attacking the Blackjacks due to the fact that they're the main supply of weaponry within the Isle.
Most members are completely decked out with guns and an armored uniform based on their current ranking, however this is the most boring gang due to it's "non-violent unless provoked" attitude.

All they aim for is wealth, essentially; even though there's no actual currency, they do get wealth based on possessions. The rarer, the more they're worth. If you have any money on you at all, they'll send it off to the Boss back in the US.

Current numbers: No PCs yet, general number of Blackjacks estimated about 2 million (+ a few hundred thousand back at the US.)

The Gaurdians (Founded by Sirfish)
The gang is mostly corrupt guards. They are more well equipped. But letting prisoners in the tight circle is hard. They have nonlethal weapons like teasers and some small handguns. And they have a signature designed gaurd outfit
Current numbers: 76, including 1 PC (Greg J Schmiddy)
The leaders Sheriff Greg J Schmiddy and Deputy Khole Wianson

Superior (Founded by Brainstorm)
Superior is a gang that not much know about, they reside in a series of underground basements linked to the sewage system... the gang members have not much in common besides stealth, secrecy, seduction, and security... they were cloaks and and hoods and they range between the mentally-impaired lunatics to the serial killers to the drug-dealers... not one certain job... when asked, they never say anything about their gang besides that they belong to Gang Superior... the gang's main goal is to become very big, take over the island, then the whole world.
Current Numbers: 69, including 1 PC (Storm)
The gang is lead by Storm and Shadow.

Other gangs will be listed when they are found/formed IC.

Gang app

Gang Name:
Gimmick:
Starting numbers: (Max is 100, if you've been spending the entire time since arrival building your gang - you've just been deported here a week ago at most at the start of the RP. This number will rise throughout the RP - endgame goal is to have it roughly as powerful as the NPC factions.)
Leaders: (First and second in command.)

Player app

Name:
Crime: (Why are you here?)
Starting gang: (Can be a PC gang if the PC in charge approves/you're the one founding it, otherwise you can also join Keel Haulers or Blackjacks - though, Blackjacks is kinda boring. You can also choose to have no gang, but the game will be much harder then.)
Backstory: (You know what this is, right? At least a good paragraph.)

NOTES ON BOTH GANG APPS AND PLAYER APPS:

You start with nothing but the clothes on your back as a player, and gangs have to have gear at a balanced level, that also fits thematically with their gimmick.
Post edited by ¤RunninginReverse¤ on

Comments

• SirfishSirfish Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Gang Name: The Gaurdians
    Gimmick: The gang is mostly corrupt guards. They are more well equipped. But letting prisoners in the tight circle is hard. They have nonlethal weapons like teasers and some small handguns. And they have a signature designed gaurd outfit
    Starting numbers: 76. About 3 of those are prisoners
    Leaders: Sherrif: Greg J Schmiddy Deputy: Khole Wianson
    I'm just here to do stuff and play games because I am unproductive and should learn how to do something with my life but instead i'm just going be here and do nothing
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sirfish said:

Gang Name: The Gaurdians
    Gimmick: The gang is mostly corrupt guards. They are more well equipped. But letting prisoners in the tight circle is hard. They have nonlethal weapons like teasers and some small handguns. And they have a signature designed gaurd outfit
    Starting numbers: 76. About 3 of those are prisoners
    Leaders: Sherrif: Greg J Schmiddy Deputy: Khole Wianson

> The gang is mostly corrupt guards

There are no actual guards for the Isle, for peacekeeping or to stop breakouts. The only defense they have in place to stop people from escaping is the Barrier - which can't exactly be destroyed or surpassed by anything inside the Isle, so there was no need for it.
    How about instead they are mostly Ex Cops n stuff

I'm just here to do stuff and play games because I am unproductive and should learn how to do something with my life but instead i'm just going be here and do nothing
    Sirfish said:

How about instead they are mostly Ex Cops n stuff

Alright, that works.

Still gonna need that there character app for the Sheriff. ((Deputy doesn't need one.))
    Name: Greg J Schmiddy
    Crime: Three counts of murder. Arson and
    Starting gang: The Gaurdians
    Backstory: Greg was the sheriff of a small town in southern Wisconsin. He was married and has a son but rarely got to see them. One day he came home to see his wife with another man. And scmiddy began planning how to get back. One day he set his own house on fire. Both the man and his wife were killed in the fire. But so was his son. When he found out he killed the son he loved and cared for. He turned himself In
    Sirfish said:

Name: Greg J Schmiddy
    Crime: Three counts of murder. Arson and
    Starting gang: The Gaurdians
    Backstory: Greg was the sheriff of a small town in southern Wisconsin. He was married and has a son but rarely got to see them. One day he came home to see his wife with another man. And scmiddy began planning how to get back. One day he set his own house on fire. Both the man and his wife were killed in the fire. But so was his son. When he found out he killed the son he loved and cared for. He turned himself In

Approved.

Let's get this thing started.

You wake up and it's a new day. ((Some descriptive flavor could get you extra GM's brownie points here, by the way.))
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Member Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26
    Gang Name: Superior
    Gimmick: Superior is a gang that not much know about, they reside in a series of underground basements linked to the sewage system... the gang members have not much in common besides stealth, secrecy, seduction, and security... they were cloaks and and hoods and they range between the mentally-impaired lunatics to the serial killers to the drug-dealers... not one certain job... when asked, they never say anything about their gang besides that they belong to Gang Superior... the gang's main goal is to become very big, take over the island, then the whole world.
    Starting Numbers: 69
    Leaders: Storm (first) and Shadow (second)

Storm is basically me, Shadow is a very silent person, doesn't talk much but we arrived in the island together... will explain more on my app.

Name: Phillips Connor Storm Shady
    Crime: Planning to take over the world and actually taking over 7 counties in Florida and keeping up against the army for 9 days.
    Starting Gang: Superior
    Backstory: When I was fourteen, me and my thirteen year old brother Peter and my 11 year old brother Sam were always bullied in school, "benefits" of being in Georgia... bullies were all forms of torture, between robbery, beating up, and disrespect as pulling pants down.. when I turned 24 I wasn't let into freedom, my boss at work kept playing with my salary and force me to do stuff like clean the bathrooms, being the weak-personalitied person. Then, I got angry, so me and my brothers decided to take over the world... when we set up plans for 2 years straight, we started the plan... but Peter sold us out for a big sum of money from the government and burnt our weapon supply and stole our nuclear contraptions... so me and Sam were taken in, tortured, then sent to this island... we told others of our cause and we started a gang, a secretish gang under the ground with the secretish cause to take over the world... me and Sam went together and lead it, me using the name Storm and Sam using the name Shadow, nobody besides us two and that bitch, Peter, who is now a rich businessman back in America, knows our real name...
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx

Gang Name: Superior
    Gimmick: Superior is a gang that not much know about, they reside in a series of underground basements linked to the sewage system... the gang members have not much in common besides stealth, secrecy, seduction, and security... they were cloaks and and hoods and they range between the mentally-impaired lunatics to the serial killers to the drug-dealers... not one certain job... when asked, they never say anything about their gang besides that they belong to Gang Superior... the gang's main goal is to become very big, take over the island, then the whole world.
    Starting Numbers: 69
    Leaders: Storm (first) and Shadow (second)

Storm is basically me, Shadow is a very silent person, doesn't talk much but we arrived in the island together... will explain more on my app.

Name: Phillips Connor Storm Shady
    Crime: Planning to take over the world and actually taking over 7 counties in Florida and keeping up against the army for 9 days.
    Starting Gang: Superior
    Backstory: When I was fourteen, me and my thirteen year old brother Peter and my 11 year old brother Sam were always bullied in school, "benefits" of being in Georgia... bullies were all forms of torture, between robbery, beating up, and disrespect as pulling pants down.. when I turned 24 I wasn't let into freedom, my boss at work kept playing with my salary and force me to do stuff like clean the bathrooms, being the weak-personalitied person. Then, I got angry, so me and my brothers decided to take over the world... when we set up plans for 2 years straight, we started the plan... but Peter sold us out for a big sum of money from the government and burnt our weapon supply and stole our nuclear contraptions... so me and Sam were taken in, tortured, then sent to this island... we told others of our cause and we started a gang, a secretish gang under the ground with the secretish cause to take over the world... me and Sam went together and lead it, me using the name Storm and Sam using the name Shadow, nobody besides us two and that bitch, Peter, who is now a rich businessman back in America, knows our real name...

1. You wouldn't have been tortured.
    2. A world domination plan is a bit over-the-top, especially with how far you got into it; think about how well world domination would work in real life.
    3. In any case, you wouldn't have a large amount of space underground, and at one point or another, if you want to gain members, you'll have to expand to the surface and make yourselves known at some point - as well as possibly gaining a proper Gimmick, like the Blackjack's playing card motif or the pirate thing the Keel Haulers has going on.
    4. Finally, good luck getting off the Island with the Barrier up. This is just something to note, not a proper complaint.
    1- fine, no torture
    2- well, given that the army caught me just the moment they even cared, it's not much... cmon, it's not too over the hedge... I mean... two years of planning...
    3- don't worry about the future, worry about the present and leave the future to me

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time

1- fine, no torture
    2- well, given that the army caught me just the moment they even cared, it's not much... cmon, it's not too over the hedge... I mean... two years of planning...
    3- don't worry about the future, worry about the present and leave the future to me

Alright . . . approved, I suppose. ((But I can't "leave the future to you" because I'm literally the GM here.))

But, due to your gang's very secretive nature, you'll likely gain members more slowly than the above-ground gangs.

Also, about to add Superior and the Guardians to the list.
    I wake up. Lift up my head. And almost bang my head on the roof.
    *sigh*
    My back is sore. I slept on my gun again.
    They say the first night is the hardest, seems like the first month is worse.
    I will out of bed and try not to fall over as I get up. My attic room. Or the "sherrifs" room as I coined. I looked out the window. The two on guard duty were still there.
    "I guess I woke up before shift change."
    Oh well. I climb down the ladder after giving a look to the picture of my son. And head down to the bottom of our main building. The center of operations for my little gang
    Sirfish said:

I wake up. Lift up my head. And almost bang my head on the roof.
    *sigh*
    My back is sore. I slept on my gun again.
    They say the first night is the hardest, seems like the first month is worse.
    I will out of bed and try not to fall over as I get up. My attic room. Or the "sherrifs" room as I coined. I looked out the window. The two on guard duty were still there.
    "I guess I woke up before shift change."
    Oh well. I climb down the ladder after giving a look to the picture of my son. And head down to the bottom of our main building. The center of operations for my little gang

You do so.

A member of the gang approaches you. "Sir, we have a problem. We can't afford to equip the 5 new members we got last night - the Blackjacks have raised prices on us."

Of course they have.
    edited July 27
    "WELL what's the new price? And why would they raise it?"

Also in the main post change it from corrupt guards to ex law enforcement
    Sirfish said:

"WELL what's the new price? And why would they raise it?"

Also in the main post change it from corrupt guards to ex law enforcement

Right, sorry. Will get to that in a minute.

"Half a bag of apples per gun, one and a half per uniform."

Jesus. ((For reference, it was previously just 1/4 a bag for a gun and a full one per uniform; one full bag will usually last a week, and 4 bags are usually delivered per person per month.))

"I have a feeling they just think they can raise prices to hell 'cause they own the market.

What should we do, sir? We can swipe apples until we can afford it, or we can have our troops wait before going to them - maybe find some gear elsewhere?"
    I wake up, not lazily, but I jump out of my bed and run, quickly wear my pitch black robe and go outside, to do what I do every day... say the daily speech and the uniform words...

"Lets see if we can get hear elsewhere. And see if anyone knows anything about farming. If weeds can grow here so can an apple tree."

I wake up, not lazily, but I jump out of my bed and run, quickly wear my pitch black robe and go outside, to do what I do every day... say the daily speech and the uniform words...

There are some details I need here. What's the daily speech? What are the uniform words?
    Sirfish said:

"Lets see if we can get hear elsewhere. And see if anyone knows anything about farming. If weeds can grow here so can an apple tree."

Gear*

"Yes, sir." The member heads off.

Outside your base, you see a Keel Hauler with a fake hook in one hand, and a cutlass sheathed at their side. They seem focused on something - or someone.
    A speech related to loyalty, stealth a secrecy, and hard work and secret hiring...

I forgot what they call it... y'know, the song they sing for a country or something... I like to call them uniform words.
    I haven't thought of it yet, when I do, I'll tell you

A speech related to loyalty, stealth a secrecy, and hard work and secret hiring...

I forgot what they call it... y'know, the song they sing for a country or something... I like to call them uniform words.
    I haven't thought of it yet, when I do, I'll tell you

After the speech and song, a member of the gang approaches you. "Sir, there's been an increase of Keel Hauler activity on the surface above our hideout."
    "Hm, the best we could do now is move towards another area in the sewage, won't be hard since we haven't settled a lot of stuff... we shall leave two or three here to watch to see if they decide to go underground, and expand farther away to the left..."

"Hm, the best we could do now is move towards another area in the sewage, won't be hard since we haven't settled a lot of stuff... we shall leave two or three here to watch to see if they decide to go underground, and expand farther away to the left..."

"Understood, sir. However, we should have a talk with our recruiters on how the Keel Haulers have figured out - or, at the very least, expected - our presence here."
    "Maybe they didn't and just came here by accident... or maybe not... yes, do that."

edited July 27
    I go up to the keel hauler
    "So. What are you looking at?"

"Maybe they didn't and just came here by accident... or maybe not... yes, do that."

"Understood, sir."

The guy then goes off to prepare for the evacuation into a different part of the sewer.
    Sirfish said:

I go up to the keel hauler
    "So. What are you looking at?"

It appears he's looking at . . . a girl with a bag of apples.

"Alright, 'tis how 'tis gonna be. Ye hand o'er th' bag, or I loot it off yer-" You catch his attention. "Can nah ye see I be in th' middle o' somethin'?"
    We prepare for the evacuation, and I, personally, will assign the people who will stand to scout in this area, and send one of my best spies to join their gang and tell me of their latest movements

After we depart, I start getting a few good researchers and assign them to help us improve our technology

We prepare for the evacuation, and I, personally, will assign the people who will stand to scout in this area, and send one of my best spies to join their gang and tell me of their latest movements

After we depart, I start getting a few good researchers and assign them to help us improve our technology

So, let me get this straight.

You want to infiltrate the second-largest gang in this hellhole?

You only have 2 or 3 spies, and they're not the most skilled you could have found; if they get caught, warfare is certain. Are you sure?
    I walk off, but keep watching from a distance.
    What is this goon doin?
    Sirfish said:

I walk off, but keep watching from a distance.
    What is this goon doin?

"As I was sayin', hand o'er th' bag or I'll be lootin' it off yer corpse."

"Y-yes sir . . ." The girl hands over her bag of apples. He impales the bag on his hook to carry it, before walking away with a bit of a laugh.

You've seen this happen before. Same girl, even - you're pretty sure she's the daughter of someone else who was arrested, because you doubt she was sent here based off of her own behavior.
    They probably won't get caught, they will have all orders to train with them and actually be a part of them, but they report information to me when there is urgent news.

I go ask the girl who that guy was.