Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

[Tutorial] The best strategy to ascend efficiently

GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I've realized that this is a technique you can't really figure out unless you already know about it, and not everyone on the forums may know about it, which is why I'm explaining it here. This is the strategy you should always use when ascending to maximise your prestige gain.

Setup:
You need to acquire Chocolate Egg early on in your run, and keep it in your store at all times (much like you never buy Brainsweep, you never buy Chocolate Egg). I highly recommend to get it via savescumming with spirit of Scorn on your diamond slot as soon as you get all wrinklers available. The reason why you want to do this so early on is because you want to maximise your wrinkler gain throughout your run and therefore keep them alive as long as possible. If you're not gonna use savescumming, then have a good time grinding I guess. Regardless of the method, perma slotting Omelette is a good plan (while you're at it you should also perma slot Wrinklerspawn and Cookie Egg, but not much more because more rare eggs will mean scarcer Chocolate Egg drops).

Ascending:
When you're ready to ascend, just follow these few steps in order:
1. Backup your save just in case you mess up something or you forget to switch a perma slot during your ascension
2. Put spirit of Scorn on your diamond slot and activate the dragon's Earthshatter aura
3. Sell absolutely all of your buildings, which will also kill your wrinklers
4. Buy Chocolate Egg
5. Ascend

How it works:
Your wrinklers will be alive and eating for the entire duration of your run, and the best moment to kill them in order to maximise gain is obviously at the end of the run right as you're about to ascend, so that they had the longest time possible to charge up. This means that you're gonna end up with a very large bank at the end, which is used for basically nothing. Chocolate Egg, when bought, gives you 5% of your current bank regardless of your cps. The best time to buy it is therefore the time where your bank is at its highest point in the run, aka when popping wrinklers. Selling buildings does not contribute to your cbat, since those cookies have already been spent, but it does contribute to making a huge bank. This combo will make Chocolate Egg give you a very valuable amount of cbat in return, which directly translate into basically free prestige.

Important note:
During a CC run, you should never go for the "buy a building as soon as it's available" strategy. It's of course important to buy tons of buildings, but you should never try to maximise them as much as possible throughout your run, especially if your run has been going on for a while. Late buildings have a very high payoff time, which means the cps gain you'll get from them is never worth the bank loss. This is true in any circumstance, but especially if you're going for this ascending strategy (which you should), because it relies on you getting a decent bank. Maxing out all buildings will not loose you cbat, but it will highly impact your bank value while adding basically nothing to your cps. Of course you should buy buildings to get late upgrades (which you should perma slot), but yeah, don't go stupid over them.
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to contest one point here: I wouldn't permaslot Wrinklerspawn or Cookie Egg. I would (and do) permaslot Omelette, but between that and the Easter heavenly upgrade I don't see any need to permaslot any other eggs. What I do is switch into Easter (I stay on Christmas by default) whenever I get a Cookie Storm or Cookie Chain, because those give you a very high chance of getting quite a few eggs. (Your first Cookie Storm should yield at least a dozen eggs.)

I permaslot the final upgrades for Cursors (for a fast start with Starter Kit and Starter Kitchen), Prisms (because it takes a while to get), Kittens (ditto), and having X many of each building (ditto), along with Omelette. If I have to pop Wrinklers to get Wrinklerspawn, well, that's life. I try to get everything by the end of my first day on a run, even if it means losing a bit on the Wrinkers.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    I also contest the notion that wrinklers should be left for the entire life of the run. Obviously every time you pop them this results in lost production because there is a period of time until they respawn. However this needs to be balanced against the use to which those cookies released from the wrinklers can be put. If they are used to buy extra buildings or upgrades, that results in increased production which counts towards both CBAT and cookies-at-bank.

I considered this problem some time ago and worked out a formula for how long wrinklers should be allowed to survive. The title of the thread is something like "When to pop wrinklers".

There is a stage of the run towards the end when you should stop buying buildings and save for Choc Egg (I analysed this also), and of course from that point on there is no advantage to popping wrinklers because you won't be buying anything with the cookies they release.
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dpareja said:

I permaslot the final upgrades for Cursors (for a fast start with Starter Kit and Starter Kitchen), Prisms (because it takes a while to get), Kittens (ditto), and having X many of each building (ditto), along with Omelette.

I get where you're coming from, but personally I get all upgrades within the first hour(s) of my run, except for 300 of every building cookie which I permaslot
    I get that not everyone is at the same stage of gameplay though
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image