Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Your opinion on the new forum theme

OrteilOrteil Posts: 119Administrator, Game Dev Admin
edited July 14 in Announcements
So there's been some discontentment over the new forum theme (see responses to the other announcement) and we'd like to check with the community what everyone's opinion is.
Some notes :
  • the new design stemmed from complaints that the original theme was too dark, and subconsciously fostered an atmosphere of negativity on the forums
  • some issues raised were that the new theme is too bright (we personally feel it's a pretty comfortable dim gray) or that the color scheme is ill-fitting (we might try some new colors later, but we're still a little bummed because we really thought purple and gray was pretty lovely)
  • we'd be willing to install a forum plugin that would allow users to switch between the new and old themes at will, though we'd rather avoid that if possible as it would be extra maintenance and posts that rely on text color may not look the same for every user.
Update : the forum theme has been reverted to the old one.
Post edited by Orteil on

Your opinion on the new forum theme 26 votes

I'm fine with the new theme!
19% 5 votes
I don't mind and/or don't care either way.
11% 3 votes
I dislike the new theme and want the old one back!
46% 12 votes
I dislike both the new and old themes and would prefer something different. (suggestions welcome in the comments)
11% 3 votes
Give us the theme switch plugin! (see possible issues above)
11% 3 votes

Comments

• PalutenaPalutena Posts: 460Member ✭✭✭✭
    Some changes are neat but as I said before, dark themes beat light themes any day of the week, in any country, on any planet. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that this statistic is made up
    I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this forum if you have any questions or concerns.
  • InvaderIndyInvaderIndy Posts: 56Member ✭✭
    white is ugly
    red or orange pls
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,873Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, the change wasn't needed and the immediate shift to a light theme seems to have pissed multiple people off who prefer the dark themes - and I could see why they would; lighter themes do hurt people's eyes.
    Current status: Could be much better, really.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    "tfw he won't listen to a 40 year old man rap about vegetables and then he tells me this" - Goldra
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,742Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palutena said:

Some changes are neat but as I said before, dark themes beat light themes any day of the week, in any country, on any planet. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that this statistic is made up

Light themes are great, but not this one. Kinda like discords awful excuse for a light theme but it's actually just half dark.

• ViniVini Posts: 2,550Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the sake of curiosity, how long has it been that people complain about the dark theme, and where? I never saw one living soul say the forums were "too dark and/or pessimistic", or at least, I don't remember it.

• idcidc Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    edited July 13
    I do want to apologise for yesterday. I don't like the change but I was rude even though the forums don't really matter that much to me now.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Posts: 592Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 13
    I liked the old one.

I would be nice if you could choose backgrounds like in CC (still in WIP phase, I know)

(btw purple and grey work fine, it's the white that's hideous.)
    "What just happened?" -Me

• Ian5Ian5 Posts: 114Member ✭✭
    Really the purples nice but thats it
    Pearl has the best pics
  • RedCookie6666RedCookie6666 Posts: 2,044Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you guys are so vehemently opposed to this new theme.

I've always liked color schemes that weren't too dark, nor too bright -- which this new theme definitely is IMO.

Plus, purple and grey actually is pretty cool.

And the general polishing is an extremely nice touch.

Overall, this is certainly something to be expected out of a high-quality forum.
    RedCookie6666 here, wishing I could post more.
    ...Eh, whatever. Very little happens on the forums these days.
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,106Member, Friendly, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭
    What jars me the most is the dark grey and the light grey. I don't know why people say purple and white don't go together, when Rarity, the most beautiful of the ponies, uses a purple and white color scheme.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,742Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billabo said:

What jars me the most is the dark grey and the light grey. I don't know why people say purple and white don't go together, when Rarity, the most beautiful of the ponies, uses a purple and white color scheme. How about no?

The purple looks so awful, it's uneeded colour. On slack I have a light theme with a nice dark red sidebar. It's fine. It looks good. The purple is way too bright.

• DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,390Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14
    Honestly, it's starting to grow on me a lot now.
    Is it possible to mix up the old with the new though? or bring in a new dark theme with the switch, so both parties can be happy with a new theme to play around with.

Also, aside from a couple posts I don't think the switch should be too problematic for things, at worst people will have to clarify that "it works better in x theme!". After all the forum does seem more tame than it was in 2014. :p

pls fix these black bars in sigs btw

• idcidc Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    edited July 14
    Billabo said:

What jars me the most is the dark grey and the light grey. I don't know why people say purple and white don't go together, when Rarity, the most beautiful of the ponies, uses a purple and white color scheme.

Rarity is the worst pony ever.

On topic, it just doesn't look good all together. The darker background does stand out too much with the lighter parts as you said. Without the dark background it might not look so bad and for me that is the biggest issue now.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!
This discussion has been closed.