Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

New forum theme!

OrteilOrteil Posts: 119Administrator, Game Dev Admin
Howdy all,
after numerous complaints that the previous theme "evokes a certain longing for death" we've decided it was high time to touch up the forum style a bit. We've tried to brighten things up and use just a tad more colors.
If you find any bugs, omissions, readability issues or something that looks just plain weird, let us know in the comments!

Comments

• CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,923Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12
    The signatures in threads aren't in line with the new theme.

change it back you madman
    "Nozomi is an ugly, fat cow." ~Shonic
  • GoldraGoldra Posts: 2,542Member ✭✭✭
    Carmory said:

And quotes should be darker.
    "You don't get famous by stating that you are getting more famous. That's nonsense!" ~Karlolin
    "IT HASN'T EVEN PREMIERED ON THE THE-oh i guess you live in the US" ~Karlolin
    "Why won't you yiff with me ;.; " ~Anon9mous
    "The frosting... it's so.... mmm.... " ~Reepile
    "When the Worldstar guy is freaked the fuck out, you know there's a problem." ~Papa Franku
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,873Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaand, now my hidden text I did a bit before the Dashnet City RP opened is completely visible now.

THANKS for that.

In all seriousness, looks really good, though obviously colored text might be a pain to read now at some points.
    Current status: Could be much better, really.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    "tfw he won't listen to a 40 year old man rap about vegetables and then he tells me this" - Goldra
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,390Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white checkerboard look could be toned down a little too. it's a big jump from the chill black we had before. :p

• QuentinPlaysMCQuentinPlaysMC Posts: 200Member ✭✭
    IT BURNS MY EYES!
    This user and all related content has not been deleted
  • PalutenaPalutena Posts: 460Member ✭✭✭✭
    My younger brother's dog looked at the colour scheme and he so hard that he died to death! Retweet this and pray for my younger brother now *insert emojis here*
    PS I don't have a younger brother
    I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this forum if you have any questions or concerns.
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,376Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a man of simple tastes. Either someone figures out a dark stylish theme or I'm just gonna stop looking at the forums all together (which honestly won't change much). I'm sorry you can't just pull out a white theme like that and expect my eyes not to burn
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • OrteilOrteil Posts: 119Administrator, Game Dev Admin
    edited July 12
    Carmory said:

User sigs often use a lot of different colors that were meant to work against the old dark background, so I opted to keep it dark to avoid messing with them too much. I might make it lighter if people find it too jarring.

The white checkerboard look could be toned down a little too. it's a big jump from the chill black we had before. :p

It's been darkened up a little bit, though this might take some time to show up since CloudFlare is very enthusiastic about caching my images.
    Gouchnox said:

I'm a man of simple tastes. Either someone figures out a dark stylish theme or I'm just gonna stop looking at the forums all together (which honestly won't change much). I'm sorry you can't just pull out a white theme like that and expect my eyes not to burn

Would you say this is a problem of too much or not enough contrast? How do you advise we fix it?
  • PalutenaPalutena Posts: 460Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gouchnox said:

Absolutely. People who prefer light themes are the types of people who pour the milk first and put pineapple on their pizza, and should be sent away for re-education.
    I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this forum if you have any questions or concerns.
  • QuentinPlaysMCQuentinPlaysMC Posts: 200Member ✭✭
    Here's a suggestion:
    Have a thing in the options where you can select "Dark theme" or "Light theme" and it would switch between this look and the old look.

This background is painful to look at.
    This user and all related content has not been deleted
    Orteil said:

Gouchnox said:

Would you say this is a problem of too much or not enough contrast? How do you advise we fix it?
    I believe his problem is that it's just too damn bright, judging by the comment, nothing about contrast.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    "tfw he won't listen to a 40 year old man rap about vegetables and then he tells me this" - Goldra
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
  • idcidc Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    As I posted in activity, I find it horrible to look at. I have also never liked the checkerboard background at all and was using a script to remove it which I'd have to update. As of now my script makes it look even worse so I have to suffer that background again along with the horrible colours. The forums don't really matter much to me though so I can't be bothered to make a script to fix this mess.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!

I believe his problem is that it's just too damn bright, judging by the comment, nothing about contrast.

Is that a genuine feeling or just a reaction from being used to the old dark theme? I feel like the site is actually quite dim, compared to most regular websites which often use plain white.
    Either way, I've lightened up the dark background a bit which should make the light foreground less flashy and brain-hurty by contrast.
    idc said:

I have also never liked the checkerboard background at all and was using a script to remove it which I'd have to update.

Would you suggest we remove the checkerboard pattern everywhere, or maybe just from the light sections? What else would you propose?
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Posts: 592Member ✭✭✭
    I....would kind of like the white and purple to be toned down a bit. These colors don't work as well together.
    "What just happened?" -Me

• CalamityCalamity Posts: 15,088Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darken the purple...

• idcidc Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    edited July 12
    I preferred a plain background which was what I made it in my fix but one that is close to the lighter part of the checkerboard. I find it too distracting to look at when reading text (maybe this is just me though). The colours are also too bright for me and the purple doesn't go well with the background.
    Edit:
    It could be just me that struggles with the background. I'd suggest it was removed completely but at least from the parts with text.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!
  • CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,923Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    I would just have a button that can toggle between the old theme and the new one.
    "Nozomi is an ugly, fat cow." ~Shonic
    Carmory said:

I would just have a button that can toggle between the old theme and the new one.

This can be a problem for people who like to use the font color effects in their posts, because they could be toleratable in one theme but not the other. Also, invisible text effects to hide secrets(which I did during the build-up to Dashnet City.)
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    I think if the white/gray checkerboard got removed tho, it would be better on the eyes.

• The_QQQQThe_QQQQ Posts: 180Member ✭✭✭
    purple is the strongest colour
    ~{QQQQ}
  • ViniVini Posts: 2,550Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palutena said:

People who prefer light themes are the types of people who pour the milk first and put pineapple on their pizza, and should be sent away for re-education.

I do both of those and I believe my education is top notch, thank you very much.

On topic: I like it that discussions you've seen are darkened. I never noticed that on the old theme, so there's that.
    I don't like that the main color jumped from "very dark gray" to "white chocolate macadamia nut cookie". I can deal with the purple, but I feel this usage of the colors is... Bad, for lack of a better word.

If it were old theme with new purple, that'd be cool. Cooler than this, at least.

Vini said:

Palutena said:

People who prefer light themes are the types of people who pour the milk first and put pineapple on their pizza, and should be sent away for re-education.

I do both of those and I believe my education is top notch, thank you very much.

On topic: I like it that discussions you've seen are darkened. I never noticed that on the old theme, so there's that.
    I don't like that the main color jumped from "very dark gray" to "white chocolate macadamia nut cookie". I can deal with the purple, but I feel this usage of the colors is... Bad, for lack of a better word.

If it were old theme with new purple, that'd be cool. Cooler than this, at least.
    I agree that the 'white chocolate macadamia nut cookie' is quite hideous.

• UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,742Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purple and white don't go together, it's ugly and makes this site seem like a barbie forum.

Either change them to grey, or a nice red, not too bright.
    The grey background and sig boxes are ugly, and should be a bit brighter.

Right now this is hard to look at because of the purple and grey. Plus the discussions page is a little hard to read through.

• RedCookie6666RedCookie6666 Posts: 2,044Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it bad that I unironically prefer this over the old theme?

It's goddamn FANCY on top of looking more polished in general IMO.
    RedCookie6666 here, wishing I could post more.
    ...Eh, whatever. Very little happens on the forums these days.
  • IdlerIdler Posts: 3,235Member, Wiener, Double Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I do not want to offend you, but i just don't like the new theme colour a bit. I mean, i did really like the old black colour..
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium
  • TheKniferTheKnifer Posts: 2,361Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13
    3 words :
    fucking color schemes.
    seriously though white, grey, and purple is a fugly-ass color scheme.
    Hey guys, while we figure out what to do with the theme you might want to pop in to the poll so we can get some numbers on this
    (thanks for the feedback by the way, positive and negative)