Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Sugar lump strategy

bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 507Member ✭✭✭
edited July 9 in General Discussion
I posed the question earlier: if I have one sugar lump available, but I have already upgraded prisms once, meaning that the next upgrade will require two lumps, should I wait for the next one to appear, or use the one that's available to upgrade something else now?

A bit of analysis seems to confirm what I suspected to be the case; the increased production from the upgrade should be proportional to the number of lumps it costs. The algebra is pretty simple.

For every building, figure out the production boost from the next level upgrade. As far as I can tell, this is 1% of current production from all buildings of that type in each case. Divide this by the number of lumps required. The largest of these quantities identifies the best building to upgrade next. If you don't have enough lumps yet, the best strategy is to wait until you do.

For example: currently I have one lump available, my prisms are at level 1, everything else is at level zero. The prisms are producing 981 septillion CpS. The next best buildings, the Antimatter condensers, are producing 170 septillion, which is less than one sixth of the prism output. So even though I need 2 lumps for the next prism upgrade, the best idea is to wait till that second lump is available rather than upgrade the condensers now.

I'm sure there is a moral hidden in here somewhere - something about sugar rationing.
Post edited by bob_32_116 on

Comments

• JezJez Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    ...and delayed gratification.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 372Member ✭✭✭
    what do you mean by upgrading prisms bob?

• AmelieAmelie Posts: 12Member ✭✭
    I'd suggest putting that second lump in Temples or Wizard Towers to unlock their minigames. I can vouch for the towers myself, just from a cookie production standpoint, though the temples are probably about as good and more predictable and possibly even more fun.

Re. adam, you upgrade buildings through the rarely used main screen where you actually see the buildings, behind the info, options and stats menus. It's hard to miss the "lvl 0" buttons.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 507Member ✭✭✭
    Yes it took me a while to notice the little upgrade buttons myself. Most of the time I have been in the habit of just leaving the game on the Info screen.
    Oh right so I've been leveling cursors bc it's the one displayed under the big cookie

Amelie said:

I'd suggest putting that second lump in Temples or Wizard Towers to unlock their minigames. I can vouch for the towers myself, just from a cookie production standpoint, though the temples are probably about as good and more predictable and possibly even more fun.

Thanks for this. Would you be able to provide a description of the minigames and a rough guide as to the CPS increase they provide?

edited July 11
    Well, they have all the math and stuff at reddit if you can stomach going to that site. But in my own experience:

The Wizard Tower Grimoire generates mana that you can use to cast one or two of nine different spells per several minutes. The most interesting of those by far is one that costs 40% of your max MP and gives 30 minutes of cookie production, with a chance of a backlash that gives you a blood clot for 10 minutes. Depending on how lucky you get with production multipliers, that'll provide hours or weeks of extra cookie production per day.

The Temple Pantheon lets you choose three of twelve gods to provide various bonuses and drawbacks to your game, like increased milk power but reduced golden cookie spawn rate or cheaper buildings but considerably less Prestige power. I haven't tried most of them as there's a 16 hour cooldown on swapping. (Though ascending lets you start over.) There's some clearly favoring active play, some that favor passive, and some universally useful, so the challenge seems to be mostly figuring out in advance what you want to do for the next day or so. The most straightforward bonuses are stuff like 15% increased cookie production (but you lose it if you click any golden cookie) or 3% increased clicking power for 30 seconds per building you sell (so selling 400 farms gives 12x cookies per click).

You can spend a sugar lump at any time to eat up the cooldowns on either game, though you probably have a few hundred more important uses for those.
    Thanks for that, much appreciated. At the moment my play is 100% passive (100 cookie clicks in the past 47 days) so I'll reread that tonight and decide which is the best for progression.
    Amelie said:

Well, they have all the math and stuff at reddit if you can stomach going to that site. But in my own experience:

The Wizard Tower Grimoire generates mana that you can use to cast one or two of nine different spells per several minutes. The most interesting of those by far is one that costs 40% of your max MP and gives 30 minutes of cookie production, with a chance of a backlash that gives you a blood clot for 10 minutes. Depending on how lucky you get with production multipliers, that'll provide hours or weeks of extra cookie production per day.

The Temple Pantheon lets you choose three of twelve gods to provide various bonuses and drawbacks to your game, like increased milk power but reduced golden cookie spawn rate or cheaper buildings but considerably less Prestige power. I haven't tried most of them as there's a 16 hour cooldown on swapping. (Though ascending lets you start over.) There's some clearly favoring active play, some that favor passive, and some universally useful, so the challenge seems to be mostly figuring out in advance what you want to do for the next day or so. The most straightforward bonuses are stuff like 15% increased cookie production (but you lose it if you click any golden cookie) or 3% increased clicking power for 30 seconds per building you sell (so selling 400 farms gives 12x cookies per click).

You can spend a sugar lump at any time to eat up the cooldowns on either game, though you probably have a few hundred more important uses for those.

So do we lose the levels from ascending and start from zero again?

So do we lose the levels from ascending and start from zero again?

No. Levels and sugar lumps survive from one run to the next.
    Okay, so I've played with the Temple Pantheon and it's had marvellous effects on my CPS - doubled to 13 Dec per day. On the other hand I can't see the slightest reason to cast a single spell.

2% reduction in building price? No good to me, I'm way past the point where that makes a difference. 30min CPS? That turned out to be 32 Non - I've dropped more running for the bus.

Could it be that the Grimoire is only useful during early play and once you hit the later stages it's not that useful?
  • TUSLOS1227TUSLOS1227 Posts: 43Member
    I'm sorry, is there a new update to CC, and WHAT IS A SUGAR LUMP?
    Go to the top right of the screen, select and and see for yourself. :-)

I'm sorry, is there a new update to CC, and WHAT IS A SUGAR LUMP?

It's in the new Beta release

Jez said:

Okay, so I've played with the Temple Pantheon and it's had marvellous effects on my CPS - doubled to 13 Dec per day. On the other hand I can't see the slightest reason to cast a single spell.

2% reduction in building price? No good to me, I'm way past the point where that makes a difference. 30min CPS? That turned out to be 32 Non - I've dropped more running for the bus.

Could it be that the Grimoire is only useful during early play and once you hit the later stages it's not that useful?

I haven't tried the wizard game yet, but it seems to me that 30 min is 30 min, no matter how you look at it or when it occurs. Equivalent to two Lucky Cookies, or to a certain number of reindeers. I'm assuming it's 30 min of instantaneous production, so if you cast that spell during a solar flare, for example, it would give you a huge amount of cookies.
    Sounds like active play is the way to maximise the effect from the spells then. Have to find some time for that.
    edited July 13
    Yes. Conjure Baked Goods gets me about 15 nonillion with the golden switch on, but with Frenzy and Solar Flare and other such not uncommon circumstances it's more like 1-2 decillion.

Edit: And then this happened. C: http://i.imgur.com/XPTVGDY.jpg
    Post edited by Amelie on
    What about if you get a negative effect during a GC effect? Is it like the clot during a frenzy and it just cancels the frenzy, or does it stack with the frenzy and take a shitload more cookies away?

There's no spell that can take cookies away (yet). Though it would probably stack. Blood Cloth and Frenzy does stack to give you 3½x production and all.
    edited July 13
    Well that was interesting.

Just opened a new browser window and went for a quick experimental 30min active play, (Elder pledge, Christmas Season and Golden Switch ) and gave up after 20min after not a single 'x7' cookie. The plan was, of course, to land one of those and click on 'Conjure baked goods' which would theoretically produce 30min worth of that CPS. However, nothing but 'Ruin' and 'Clot'. Literally: nothing. Might try again later on but with the addition of the grimoire it seems Orteil has rejigged the probabilities a bit to ensure that the potential progress that can come from this combination is far less frequent than one would expect. Very disappointing, or just phenomenally unlucky.

[Edit: Okay, so had another go - for a total of an hour this time - and finally landed an Elder Frenzy which made it all worthwhile; 10 dec up. Obviously the mistake here was to upgrade to Communal Brainsweep (and further) back in the first few minutes of the game seven weeks ago. Shan't be doing that again.]
    Post edited by Jez on
  • DoNotWantDoNotWant Posts: 2Member
    Spells are the bomb. Since 2 days ago I have gone from 40 mil prestige to 88.8 mil prestige and have about 57 mil heavenly chips. Current ascension is at 1 day 12 hours, and I have currently baked 499.5 decillion cookies(this ascension).
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,092Member, Friendly, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭
    Jez said:

Obviously the mistake here was to upgrade to Communal Brainsweep (and further) back in the first few minutes of the game seven weeks ago. Shan't be doing that again.

Alternatively, you could use Elder Pledge while you're active so you would be guaranteed to get positive effects to combine with the spell.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    This may be a rash statement therefore but...

...Elder Pledge doesn't work anymore.

Seriously: I make the Elder Pledge (as I've been doing in this situation for two years), select Christmas Season (because the bonuses associated with reindeer during a Frenzy stack up quite nicely after an hour or so), turn off the Golden Switch and play actively for a while. However, as I said, Elder Pledge is no longer working. All wrath cookies and no golden. Not one.

Have I discovered a bug?
  • DoNotWantDoNotWant Posts: 2Member
    Jez said:

This may be a rash statement therefore but...

...Elder Pledge doesn't work anymore.

Do you have Skruuia, Spirit of Scorn active in the Pantheon?
    I don't remember but having reincarnated about an hour ago and it suddenly occurred to me that this is what could have been causing it.

The problem with passive play is that you don't get involved enough in the changes to learn what's affecting what. I've got no chance of changing that for the time being though so I'll just have experiment more in the earlier stages and keep reading the threads.
  • dr_flashdr_flash Posts: 15Member
    How do I upgrade a building with sugar lumps actually? And what about these minigames? Is there a feature list or a manual out there somewhere where I can find how any of the new stuff works? Thanks!
  • jurejure Posts: 6Member
    Unlock temple, since it gives insane bonuses and then you can do whatever. Wizard tower benefits are second to none, so probably prisms and temples.
    dr_flash said:

How do I upgrade a building with sugar lumps actually? And what about these minigames? Is there a feature list or a manual out there somewhere where I can find how any of the new stuff works? Thanks!

You click the level arrow under the building picture in the centre panel of the game

• AlakallanarAlakallanar Posts: 12Member ✭✭
    Quick question: "You maximum amount of mana varies depending on your amount of wizard towers, and their level."
    Does anybody know the formula for this? I currently only have a maximum of 50 mana with level 1 and 364 wizard towers. I would prefer to spend my sugar lumps on other buildings first, but if maximum mana is significantly increased for each level I might consider increasing wizard towers further.

Quick question: "You maximum amount of mana varies depending on your amount of wizard towers, and their level."
    Does anybody know the formula for this? I currently only have a maximum of 50 mana with level 1 and 364 wizard towers. I would prefer to spend my sugar lumps on other buildings first, but if maximum mana is significantly increased for each level I might consider increasing wizard towers further.

I have 391 towers and only 53 manna so I reckon level two might be worth it to see how much of a boost it gives