Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

2.003 Beta released

adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 372Member ✭✭✭
Just refreshed and got 7 new cookies plus about half a dozen achievements. Many new achievement slots open as well, now get one for 350 of a given building. I now have 7 empty slots between moistburster and spooky cookies. Muy interesante!

Comments

• itsIndyitsIndy Posts: 229Member ✭✭✭
    lmao no
    test
  • ChocolateMachineChocolateMachine Posts: 41Member ✭✭
    Well, a set of building production doublers at 300 would have been better than a set of achievements at 350. And it looks like there are also two more cookie production achievements. Now the end of the game is a thousand times farther off and there aren't a whole lot of new upgrades to get you there faster.

But the building levels look kind of cool, and there are some minigames which should be good. And there seem to be six new heavenly upgrades with the first costing 100 million heavenly chips, so I guess there is some new endgame stuff to keep us around longer.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 372Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    100M? Shit that's a long way off. I notice the extra achievements and cookies have buffed my CPS beyond belief, this game was about half the CPS of my V2.002 main game and now it is about 1.5 greater.

V2.0032 now out with the sugar lump minigame.

Time playing is now in days instead of hours. Apparently I started the beta one year and two days ago. Thanks for the birthday present Orteil.

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 507Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    How do you people know about the nature of these new achievements? The new changes to the beta version don't seem to be documented in the Wiki, and the new section on the Info screen is pretty brief.

Sugar lumps look interesting, I'll have to wait and see whether it's worth incorporating those into my spreadsheet. Putting the new cookie upgrades into the spreadsheet turned out to be a pretty easy exercise, owing to the fact that, if I do say it myself, it's designed to be fairly flexible and easy to make small modifications. More challenging was the change required due to the fact that times are now displayed in days. My legacy started 63 days ago, but that's ony to the nearest 24 hours. Those 24 hours make a big difference when using the times to calculate current run duration and current average CpS.

I eventually decided to do a complete rejig and change my spreadsheet so that the start and end times of the runs are entered as actual dates and times, eg "2017-07-08 13:30". The nice thing about that is that instead of having to constantly update the time elapsed in the current run, I can just use the NOW() function which returns the current date/time and is updated automatically. It's a more robust way to handle the data, and probably how it should have been done in the first place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about these sugar lumps, before I experiment myself, does anyone know:

- Is raising the level of a building just another kind of building upgrade?
    - Can I do it now by harvesting one sugar lump? The sugar lump tool-tip seems to say that they can only be harvested when ripe. The other possibility is that they can be harvested any time but only give the maximum boost when ripe. I could just try it and see, but I wondered if anyone already knew.
    - Can the level be raised more than once? If so, I don't see the point of raising the level of any building except the one producing the most, normally a prism.
    - Are there other things that can be done with sugar lumps, apart from raising the level of a building?
    edited July 8
    IDK what the levels mean. I had a sugar lump to grab as soon as I refreshed 2.003 (not sure why Orteil didn't just release one update?). It has given me "one extra finger granting +1% to cursor CPS". I need two more sugar lumps to go up to level 2. I reckon level 2 will probs just increase the % boost

EDIT: I did a ruin the game to see what the other achievements are. This adds a little bit more to the info on the levels, IDK if after 1 cursor level you go to 1 grandma or you go through all ten cursor levels before moving up to the next building.

Here is the full (I think) list of new achievements:

The dreams in which I’m baking are the best I’ve ever had- bake 100 undecillion cookies in one ascension
    Set for life- bake 1 duodecillion cookies in one ascension

The proof of the cookie is in the baking- bake 1 septillion cookies per second
    If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing- bake 10 septillion cookies per second

Click (starring adam sandler)- make 10 septillion cookies just from cursors
    Freaky jazz hands- Reach level 10 cursors

Frantiquities- make 10 septillion cookies just from grandmas
    Methuselah- Reach level 10 grandmas

Overgrowth- make 10 quintillion cookies just from farms
    Huge tracts of land- Reach level 10 farms

Sedimentalism- make 100 quintillion cookies just from mines
    D-d-d-d-deeper- Reach level 10 mines

Labour of love- make 1 sextillion cookies just from factories
    Patently genius- Reach level 10 factories

Reverse funnel system- make 10 sextillion cookies just from banks
    A capital idea- Reach level 10 banks

Thus spoke you- make 100 sextillion cookies just from temples
    It belongs in a bakery- Reach level 10 temples

Manafest destiny- make 1 septillion cookies just from wizard towers
    Motormouth- Reach level 10 wizard towers

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night- make 10 septillion cookies just from shipments
    Been there done that- Reach level 10 shipments

I’ve got the Midas touch- make 100 septillion cookies just from alchemy labs
    Phlogisticated substances- Reach level 10 alchemy labs

Which eternal lie- make 1 octillion cookies just from portals
    Bizarro world- Reach level 10 portals

Déjà vu- make 10 octillion cookies just from time machines
    The long now- Reach level 10 time machines

Powers of ten- make 100 octillion cookies just from antimatter condensers
    Chubby hadrons- Reach level 10 antimatter condensers

Now the dark days are gone- make 1 nonillion cookies just from prisms
    Palettable-Reach level 10 prisms

Tricentennial- Have at least 300 of everything

Four-leaf cookie- have four golden cookies simultaeneously

Dude, sweet- harvest 7 coalescing sugar lumps
    Sugar rush- harvest 30 coalescing sugar lumps
    Year’s worth of cavities- harvest 365 coalescing sugar lumps
    Hand picked- successfully harvest sugar lump before it’s ripe
    Sugar sugar- harvest a bifurcated sugar lump
    All natural cane sugar- harvest a golden sugar lump
    Sweetmeats- harvest a meaty sugar lump

Bibbidi bobbidi boo- cast 9 spells
    I’m the wiz- cast 99 spells
    A wizard is you- cast 999 spells

Post edited by adam_antichrist on

Wow, thanks for all that research! Nice to see Orteil is a Tears For Fears fan.
    edited July 8
    On my screen it says "You have one sugar lump", which seems right since it's the first one to appear since I refreshed the game and I haven't done anything with it such as increasing a building's level . On the Stats scrfeen however it says "Sugar lumps harvested: 1". Shouldn't that be zero? Is this a bug? Unless I'm misunderstanding the term "harvest", which I took to mean "used".

I guess what I'm asking is "One lump or none?"

-------------------------------

Edit: OK, the plot thickens. My sugar lump is nowhere near "ripe", but just to see what happened I selected the tab to take cursors up one level.

Screen now says cursors are at level 1... good.
    The Stats screen still says one sugar lump harvested, same as it said before. It's now correct, whereas before it was incorrect.
    At the top of the centre screen it says I have zero sugar lumps, yet a lump is there and it's the same size as it was before I "harvested" it. "The sugar lump is still growing and will take 5 hours 13 minutes to reach maturity", yet supposedly sugar lumps take 20 hours to reach maturity, so where did the extra 15 hours go? It's as though the original lump is still there, except that it's no longer available for harvest.

I'm quite confused. It all seems totally inconsistent, and I wonder if maybe it's because I upgraded in the middle of a run, causing inconsistency in the program's variables. It may sort itself out after running for a while.
    Post edited by bob_32_116 on
  • gordonrmaseygordonrmasey Posts: 22Member
    edited July 9
    i didn't say anything, i swear
    edited July 9
    I think I now understand how the sugar lumps work. After 20 hours, the lump becomes available to harvest by clicking on it.
    Once harvested, it goes into storage somewhere and a number beside the new growing lump shows how many harvested lumps are sitting there available for use.
    Using one or more lumps to increase a building's level will of course cause that number to decrease.
    The game still says I have harvested 2 lumps when I can only recall harvesting one. Possibly I clicked on the first one without realising, or possibly the game got its numbers in a knot due to the upgrade happening in the middle of a run. Perhaps I upgraded at a point where the game thought the first lump had already auto-harvested itself? Who knows.

The next challenge is to work out the best strategy for spending lumps. It's pretty obvious that the first lump should be used to upgrade the most productive building (prism). What about the next one though? It takes two lumps for the next prism upgrade. Should I wait for the currently growing third lump to ripen, or should I used the single available lump to upgrade something else? Knowing how many harvested lumps to keep on hand at any one time (hopefully in some kind of controlled atmosphere storage so they don't go off) is going to be an interesting new strategy to work out.
  • RedCookie6666RedCookie6666 Posts: 2,039Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOLY SHIT BACKGROUND SELECTOR
    RedCookie6666 here, wishing I could post more.
    ...Eh, whatever. Very little happens on the forums these days.
  • snwysnwy Posts: 1Member
    so grimoire's "Conjure Baked Goods" ability is so broken if you use it while any multiplier is on. haven't done it with elder frenzy yet but i imagine it's just absolutely insane. has worked with at least regular frenzy for me twice now.
  • AmelieAmelie Posts: 12Member ✭✭
    edited July 9
    Yes. Frenzy + Elder Frenzy and Conjure Baked Goods gives you 2331 hours of production. That's over 97 days. And that's if you don't use 80% of your magic to cast it twice. I'm never buying Communal Brain, cough, I mean, that's probably going to be tricky to balance in a way that plays fair.

Edit: And if you're not so lucky as to get Elder Frenzy, there's always the building-based multiplier cookies. Ore Vein, Solar Flare and so on. Though if you'll permit me an idle daydream about the ideal scenario. . .

You get a regular Frenzy cookie. Then you get the rare double cookie - a High-five and an Elder Frenzy, multiplying production by some 50 times 666 times. (I have tested this, the buffs do stack multiplicatively.) Then you cast Force the Hand of Fate for a Congregation, adding another probably nearly 50x multiplier. Then Conjure Baked Goods. I'm scared to do the math.
    wtf are you guys talking about?

• redskingmredskingm Posts: 3Member
    Amelie how did you get to that is seems to be linear for me or did you hack the game?
    No, just checking the numbers as they happen. I should probably double check again.
  • JezJez Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    Just imported my game into the beta. Looks like more achievements for the higher numbers of buildings. Fair enough but slightly annoying bearing in mind the negligible increase for each one.

This must affect the 'buy no buildings after a certain time' calculation though, eh Bob?
    Amelie said:

Then you cast Force the Hand of Fate for a Congregation, adding another probably nearly 50x multiplier. Then Conjure Baked Goods.

What are these things you are talking about? Are these the spells the achievement hints at? How do you get to these?

You need lvl 1 Wizard Towers to unlock the minigame as covered in the other thread. Well, Orteil calls it a game but it's really just a spellbook you upgrade with more wizard towers and higher level wizard towers.
    It looks like all I can buy with a sugar lump is a cursor upgrade... How do you switch it?
  • UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,724Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    redskingm said:

It looks like all I can buy with a sugar lump is a cursor upgrade... How do you switch it?

You see the middle part with all the buildings shown as sprites? It's there.

OK got it... I normally keep it on the stats page that was my problem... thanks
  • ChocolateMachineChocolateMachine Posts: 41Member ✭✭
    I conjured baked goods during an elder frenzy during a frenzy and I got 26 decillion cookies, the equivalent of about two weeks of play (counting wrinklers and golden cookie bonuses) from before the update. Then I forced the hand of fate during a building special and got another building special, and I conjured baked goods for another 8 decillion.

Maybe this update isn't so bad.

I'm also not going to read the source code or the forum too much, and just try things and see how they work. So far that's led to screwing up my cookie pantheon to the point that it's better to wait for half a day than try to play actively at all now.
    edited July 10
    Jez said:

Just imported my game into the beta. Looks like more achievements for the higher numbers of buildings. Fair enough but slightly annoying bearing in mind the negligible increase for each one.

This must affect the 'buy no buildings after a certain time' calculation though, eh Bob?

Possibly. What will probably happen is that you will get the upgrade, then buying buildings will immediately become viable again owing to the fact that production has increased and the end of the run has been pushed back.

There may be cases arise where you have 349 of a building and the spreadsheet says hold off buying buildings, but you will buy the 350th one regardless because you know it will unlock an upgrade.

I imagine it would be possible to build that information into the spreadsheet and calculate whether buying a building will unlock an upgrade that will increase production and make the purchase worthwhile. I'm not going to attempt that. I think that's called "creeping elegance". Already I think the spreadsheet is getting too smart for its own good. For example, I now estimate how many cookies will be made in the current run, based on current production. When identifying the next "best buy", it ignores items where the cost is greater than this amount, on the premise that the run will end anyway before i can afford it, so I should just buy something else.
  • TraconTracon Posts: 7Member
    edited July 10
    Simple question I'm sure, but how do you start playing version 2.003 with your current progress? I refreshed my browser but no change. I see beta as a version option, but that just opens a brand new game for me with no cookies.

Edit: I ended up just importing my code into the open beta version. So now the question is, are people now moving forward with the beta version and all of the increased production from the new upgrades or do we wait for the official release before we switch over to this version as our official game?
    Nah you run two different games. Some of the beta elements don't always make it over to the live game. Rather than importing, I started from scratch on the beta

• NavyDan1NavyDan1 Posts: 54Member ✭✭
    Same here.
    Same here. Partly so that I could compare and contrast the two versions, but mostly because I wanted to see how much better I could make the game perform the second time through, having learned from some of the mistakes of the first time. So far my baking speed has improved quite a bit, but from this point on it's not really possible to draw fair comparisons between the two, now that the game has sugar lumps and wizard spells and whatnot that weren't in version 2.002.
    edited July 11
    There is one bug that I was hoping would have been fixed in the beta version:

If I switch between browser windows by clicking on the tab (as opposed to using Ctrl-Tab), the CC window always appears with the building buying multiples set to "x10". irrespective of whether or not that was the setting before. This caused me a bit of grief in the early days of playing, and I still occasionally forget, and find myself buying ten of something when I only wanted one, leaving myself not enough cookies to buy other things I wanted. I'd be glad to see the back of this bug.
    Post edited by bob_32_116 on

If I switch between browser windows by clicking on the tab (as opposed to using Ctrl-Tab), the CC window always appears with the building buying multiples set to "x10". irrespective of whether or not that was the setting before. This caused me a bit of grief in the early days of playing, and I still occasionally forget, and find myself buying ten of something when I only wanted one, leaving myself not enough cookies to buy other things I wanted. I'd be glad to see the back of this bug.

What browser do you use Bob? I've never had that happen using chrome.

What browser do you use Bob? I've never had that happen using chrome.
    Seamonkey. That probably means it happens in Firefox as well, but haven't tested it.