Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

What type of number is your favorite number?

MathCookieMathCookie Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
edited July 1 in Off Topic
It's like my old poll, but better.

What type of number is your favorite number? 9 votes

Positive Whole Number below 1 thousand (0 counts for this one)
33%
CarmoryBrainstormMathCookie 3 votes
Positive Whole Number between 1k and 999T
0%
Positive Whole Number equal to/larger than 1 quadrillion
0%
Negative Whole Number
0%
Positive Non-Whole Rational
0%
Negative Non-Whole Rational
0%
Irrational (But still real)
22%
Gouchnoxidc 2 votes
Imaginary Number/Complex Number
11%
ExplodingCamel 1 vote
A number from some even crazier system, like a 4D complex or something
22%
MrMonkey7thIan5 2 votes
An infinite/transfinite number
11%
QuentinPlaysMC 1 vote

Comments

• MathCookieMathCookie Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    edited July 1
    17, to be specific.

If you haven't yet, go check this one out:

http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/16040/in-what-range-is-your-favorite-number

It allows you to be more specific, but only if your favorite is actually a real number, and is at least 1.
  • idcidc Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited July 1
    I actually can't really answer yet (assuming complex etc. refers to the non-real complex numbers) but I chose the most likely option for the Euler–Mascheroni constant.
    Maybe some time in the future somebody clever will prove if it really is irrational.
    That is one of the reasons it is my favourite number. It appears in many places in maths yet nobody has ever proven it to be irrational.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Member Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is very suspicious
    There is illuminatic force here

No.
    My favourite number is not 13, it's 666, now stay away before I kell u
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx
  • Ian5Ian5 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
    edited July 3
    Lol
    Pearl has the best pics
  • Ian5Ian5 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Banana is my favorite number.
    Pearl has the best pics
  • CarmoryCarmory Member, Wiener Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭
    random = funny
    "Nozomi is an ugly, fat cow." ~Shonic
  • MrMonkey7thMrMonkey7th Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    Any of the octonions.

Explanation of an octonion:
    You know about the number line, right? I will assume so.

The square root of -1, which is i, extends that number line to a number plane, with on axis being all of the real numbers, and the oher axis being all of the real multiples of i. The points not on the axis but still on the plane are some value of i multiplied by some other real value. In here there will not only be irrational numbers, but also negative imaginary irrational numbers multiplied by irational numbers to give some pretty weird values. I think Vsauce or Numberphile did a video explaining some pretty weird properties of this plane, with magic triangles that can be used to multiply to random points on the plane together. Crazy stuff.

Quaterions are what happen when you take that number plane, and extend it into four dimensions. There is no three dimensional version of this, because that would be the same as multiplying i by itself, or i squared which just gives -1, a real number that can fit in on our original number plane. In quaternion land, there is i, j, and k. There is a really interesting property that quaterions have. i*j=k, but j*i=-k, which can lead to more interesting areas of maths to play around in.

Octonions are what happen when that 4D space becomes 8D. Now you get to some really crazy and complex stuff which I haven't quite managed to wrap my head around,
    but it is still really fun to learn about. Surprisingly, you can't extend the number space past eight dimensions, it stops here. You would think that you can, at first it seems intuitively obvious, but for some reason I again haven't quite gotten around to learning about, it can't go any farther.
    e^i*π=-1
  • idcidc Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8

Surprisingly, you can't extend the number space past eight dimensions, it stops here. You would think that you can, at first it seems intuitively obvious, but for some reason I again haven't quite gotten around to learning about, it can't go any farther.

Actually you can but it loses more algebraic properties. 16-D numbers are called sedenions. They lose the alternative property so x(xy) may not equal (xx)y. It can be continued on an infinite number of times but nothing past octonions will be an alternative algebra 32-D would be called something like duotriginions. But apparently past 16-D it isn't very interesting so they haven't been given an official name.

Edit:
    Octonions lose the associative property so a*(b*c) may not equal (a*b)*c

Edit2:
    I read some more and sedenions are even weirder. Multiplying 2 non-zero sedenions can give zero.
    Post edited by idc on
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!