Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

I need a buying strategy.

Kirby711Kirby711 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
I have 180 cursors, and my best building is the time machine... yeah...

Comments

• adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Best option is to do up a spread sheet, and work out the relative values for each building based on CPS and cost. I work out a ratio of the CPS of a given building to that of my most expensive building (eg CPS cursors divided by CPS time machine). Then by multiplying this ratio by the cost of most expensive building, I know if it is worth buying the other building (eg ratio value I got for cursors multiplied by cost of time machine gives x). If the value for x is greater than 1, it is better value to buy the cursor than the time machine. By using a spreadsheet, you can put these formulae in place for each building then use it to see which you should buy next (ie most expensive building OR building with the highest value greater than 1).

To begin with, this works just by looking at the CPS displayed when you hover your mouse over the building button. Down the track, it gets more complicated thanks to the Synergy upgrades but you can work around it. Anyway, this is a good place to start if you want to experiment with a buying strategy. There are other threads with more complex maths involved, ask @bob_32_116 if you want to go into deep maths nerd territory bc it's his favourite topic on the forum. Have fun!

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    ^^ It's not a matter of the maths being my favourite topic. Cookie Clicker IS maths. All maths. :)

Have a look at this post http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/14012/optimal-buying-strategy. It's quite a long post, necessarily so, but halfway down there is a formula that I use to decide which building or upgrade is the optimum next buy. In most cases it gives the same answer as Adam's method above.

Post edited by bob_32_116 on
  • ipm1234ipm1234 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

^^ It's not a matter of the maths being my favourite topic. Cookie Clicker IS maths. All maths. :)

Have a look at this post http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/14012/optimal-buying-strategy. It's quite a long post, necessarily so, but halfway down there is a formula that I use to decide which building or upgrade is the optimum next buy. In most cases it gives the same answer as Adam's method above.

I tried to calculate a formula like this a while back, but my homework got in the way.
    although I do not use any add-ons, I do wonder if they use this formula (too lazy to find out myself)
    A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved!
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    It's actually more fun to do it yourself, because even though it might be harder and take more time, at the end you feel you have understood the problem.

Far be it from me to discourage you from diligently doing your homework, but if I were a maths/computer science teacher I'd seriously considering setting the students an exercise doing an anaylsis, with spreadsheet, of a somewhat simplified version of Cookie Clicker.