Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Tellurium's New Game (extremely unfinished alpha 0.1.2)

TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,404Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
edited May 9 in Off Topic
Three years ago to this day I brought forth the first release of Wall Destroyer, the first game I ever made. I continued developing it until the end of 2014, and that period was a time of great prosperity, good tidings and balancing problems.

For a while now I've had interest in making a non-idle game (it originally came from an idea of making something "better than WD"), and I've been working on one off and on for a long time now in Game Maker. I think after months worth of bug struggling* and weeks worth of actual development, I've finally reached the point where I can give this brand new chuckle knucker a "public" release (though it's still an extremely unfinished alpha). Updates will come, as I repeatedly attempt to pry ™ off of "soon".

*don't you dare ask me about the infamous corner bug I swear

Screenshots:

LR alpha 0.1.2

Download link

Current features: WASD for movement, arrow keys for shooting (can be reversed), walljumping, 12 rooms (3 start, 6 middle, 3 end) that are randomly generated into 4-room "missions", 4 enemies, boxes that give INCREDIBLE CASH, one actual use for AMAZING CURRENCY.

Known bugs/issues:
  • Under certain rare circumstances you can go up through a wall. Collision code is the devil, I'll try to figure out what can be done about that.
  • Enemies sometimes stop moving when against a wall. This one is pretty mysterious. I'll work on it.
  • Ground enemies jitter rapidly sometimes when against walls. This was a partial fix to the above bug -- they used to get stuck even more.
  • Graphics scaling is kinda bad in full screen. Not sure if I can improve that.
Tell me if you find any more!

Very long term plans for features: a bunch of playable characters with different attacks and abilities, a ton of uses for ASTONISHING EARNS, a ton of enemies and rooms, much larger missions, bosses, different zones of the great tower, better graphics, and much more! And in the final release, a story and a ton of character dialogue.

Merciless criticism Feedback is appreciated!
Post edited by Tellurium on

Comments

• UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,556Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a bug, this post was three and a half hours late.

• McJaggerMcJagger Posts: 1,220Member ✭✭✭
    wow.... i just got to looking, this was made today! ill (hopefully) try it out some time!
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,404Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Alright here's the first upgrate!

Alpha 0.1.1
    Download link

-added ability to upgrade your character for more lives & damage
    -made you fall slower when you're sliding on a wall (by popuiolar demand)
    -added very quick falling by pressing the down button
    -added option to switch controls to arrow keys movement and wasd shooting (by popularky demand)

-fixed the bug where the lose screen wouldn't come up
  • 100lol100lol Posts: 1,705Member, Wiener ✭✭✭
    make it playable without downloading because im full of stuff on my pc
    mi firnds: karlolin, gouchnox, unhappyicon, 100lol, carmory

"grlagrgrealg" ~Karlolin

• TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,404Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    100lol said:

make it playable without downloading because im full of stuff on my pc

It's 2.5MB... You could temporarily move like a couple photos to a cloud service :P

(And I don't know how to do that in game maker, sorry.)
  • Drago_mehDrago_meh Posts: 2,740Member, Wiener ✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    I'd love to try it but my computer's antivirus says it contains a virus so it immediately gets killed

Best of luck with the game though
    "The true newbie of Dashnet"
    yes you all can call me a newbie

Also I am a dragon and my young dragons must grow so please help
    http://dragcave.net/user/Drago_Meh
    Drago_meh said:

I'd love to try it but my computer's antivirus says it contains a virus so it immediately gets killed

I think that's gonna happen to most people since it's an .exe from a random internet source. Can't you tell it to open it anyway?
  • Drago_mehDrago_meh Posts: 2,740Member, Wiener ✭✭✭
    Tellurium said:

Drago_meh said:

I think that's gonna happen to most people since it's an .exe from a random internet source. Can't you tell it to open it anyway?
    no
    "The true newbie of Dashnet"
    yes you all can call me a newbie

Also I am a dragon and my young dragons must grow so please help
    http://dragcave.net/user/Drago_Meh
    Drago_meh said:

no

Instead of replying with a bad non-descriptive answer, tell us what antivirus you use.

• MyloMylo Posts: 40Member ✭✭
    Of course we are not going to open it if our antivirus gives us a warning, no matter what antivirus we use or how much we trust Tellurium.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 321Member ✭✭✭
    WTF? There is such a thing as a false positive...

Mylo said:

Of course we are not going to open it if our antivirus gives us a warning, no matter what antivirus we use or how much we trust Tellurium.

Except many people have played it and had no problems, also it's a thing most antiviruses do when there's no publisher.
    Tellurium isn't malicious at all, you're just being paranoid.

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,522Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mylo said:

Antiviruses often give false positives to things without a publisher, whether they're an actual virus or not. Most free antiviruses aren't even worth listening to due to false positives, with few exceptions.
    Current status: Could be much better, really.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,387Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    Yeah, GMS games always get a false positive regardless of what's in the code itself.
    I think I even get them from my own games :p

You're 100% safe running his game.
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 9,237Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yay for a new lurigame!
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx
  • PalutenaPalutena Posts: 453Member ✭✭✭✭
    this looks pretty cool. might look at it later.
    Best of luck designing this game
    The full uncropped version of my profile pic is here - http://i.imgur.com/vJ4xMie.png

• LefianLefian Posts: 1,742Member ✭✭✭
    I don't like it because I can't play it on Chromebook
    "You're all forgetting the skit on his show that implies that conservative Christians should be raped out of their heterosexuality."~NotDLK
    RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily.
  • ReepileReepile Posts: 1,701Member ✭✭✭✭
    This game has a lot of potential, good luck making it better!
    Update 0.1.2, which has an excessively long changelog for a not-that-major update.
    Download

-added 1 second of invincibility after respawn, so the robots can't spawncamp you
    -added a new enemy: big robots with big guns
    -added 1 more middle room
    -edited a few rooms
    -ground enemies now jump towards you, and have more sprites
    -flying enemies are a little slower
    -enemy bullets damage other enemies
    -added a couple more player sprites
    -boxes now give 20-50 money instead of 0-50, and +5 to both ends of the range with each additional floor of the tower
    -added tier 2 boxes, which have a chance of spawning instead of tier 1s and give 4 times as much BREATHTAKING STACKS
    -upgrades cost more
    -fixed fuzzy scaling (it still looks a little bad but at least it fits the pixel art)

new bugs:
    -the big enemies sometimes turn away from you when shooting, no idea what's with this but it's only visual