Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

NeverEnding Heritage - mod pack & framework

geekahedrongeekahedron Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited April 30 in General Discussion
I've been working on a framework for a modpack that allows for customization during gameplay, rather than having to restart the game and change mod files in a list etc etc. I picked a few tweaks as test for the framework, which is now stable and opens the door for inclusion of new modifications on the fly. Most of the graphics I've used are just rehashes of the default style sheet, since the base game is broken when reading and resizing custom icon sheets and no one has yet figured out a fix for it.

The mod, when loaded, doesn't do anything to the gameplay by default. However, it adds a tab to the interface which has toggle buttons for options, similar to the default settings page, which options then enact changes and unlock new technologies, traits, modes, etc, within the game.

The first version for public release has just a few mod components, the addition of a log burning mode to firekeepers, and the addition of cremation technology which (coincidentally) also adds a mode to firekeepers for cremating bodies, but with several other requirements and a steeper price tag. The cremation may itself be a little unbalancing, but it's in there as a proof of concept for how the mod settings can be turned on and off within the game.

I also added a toggle for the built-in hidden option of viewing resource tiers, which displays all available technology on the resource tab and the cost and requirements to obtain all of them.

Without further adieu, here's a stable link to the first public version of the mod
Edit: Updated link to the current stable public version of the mod: heritage.js

There are a few things yet to do with the framework itself, most namely:
Work out refund of resources and currency (such as insight) for turning off the mod setting a feature or technology that has already been purchased by the player.
Update the mod setting callback functions to check, add, and remove modes etc on the fly, so that loading a new version of the mod will integrate seamlessly into an ongoing game without having to restart.

I also have plans for a few overloads fixes of default game elements, such as the aforementioned problem with custom icon sheets.

And lastly, of course, the mod needs more content! My hope, especially once the mid-game loading is addressed, is to be able to support content from many different contributors in one place. If you have some ideas for improvements, or have coded a standalone mode that you would like to be included, please join me on the GitHub page to contribute.
Post edited by geekahedron on

Comments

• geekahedrongeekahedron Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    So, I figured out the problem with the icon display, and included a bugfix in the mod, along with a few new display options. The updated version can be added here: heritage.js, or it will automatically update on refresh if you've loaded any previous versin of the mod.
  • CookieGuyClickerCookieGuyClicker Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Hello! I like your mod. I am going to bring my bread-baking mod over onto this. Hope to get the pull request to you soon!
    I am CookieGuyClicker!
    I am known on youtube as Packerfan Gamer!
    Check out my games!
    -Diep.io Shooter
  • MaresianMaresian Member Posts: 10
    Cool mod! Cremation sounds interesting, but doesn't want to show up for me. It's on the tech tree, but never showed up as an option for researching.
    edited April 26
    Maresian said:

Cool mod! Cremation sounds interesting, but doesn't want to show up for me. It's on the tech tree, but never showed up as an option for researching.

Refresh your page and that should be fixed now, without even needing to start a new game.

It seems that a typo crept back into source control that wasn't reading the custom setting properly ("enablecremation:true" instead of "enablecremation:'on'"). That's been fixed in the latest release, as well as a generalization of the settings for other mods to use. There appears to be a new bug with loading manifests from multiple mods, as I'm working on an example of a separate mod using the custom settings tab from this one, but what's there should be working for now.
    Post edited by geekahedron on

Hello! I like your mod. I am going to bring my bread-baking mod over onto this. Hope to get the pull request to you soon!

I left a few comments on the pull request, but didn't merge it in just yet. Take a look and let me know what you think; hopefully the intention is clear enough. I'm working on versions of the mod API that will make the integration even cleaner, too.
    For a better idea of what I'm going for, I added a branch to the project where I implemented a separate mod with references to hooks (my "API") in the heritage mod. I used orteil's example hot pepper mod as a foundation, with a setting to enable and disable that mod and all of its elements within the heritage menu.

Anyone who is interested, take a look at that for an example of how to incorporate my mod into your own standalone mod: https://github.com/geekahedron/heritage/tree/enternalref
  • CalamityCalamity Member, Friendly Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck dude!

• SekhmetSekhmet Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Nice idea. I'll be happy to see more mods into this one. :)

I activated the "enable cremation technology", but which kind of trait/technology is supposed to unlock this technology?
    Sekhmet said:

Nice idea. I'll be happy to see more mods into this one. :)

I activated the "enable cremation technology", but which kind of trait/technology is supposed to unlock this technology?

When you enable cremation technology, there is a research item called cremation that will add the cremation mode to your firekeepers. In order to unlock cremation research, you must already have researched fire-making, woodcutting, pottery, and spiritualism. Hope that helps!
    Hmmm... "spiritualism" does not appear in my list of research, and I'm using the "research tier" option...

(I think I got all the technologies since I'm building my mausoleum and I have been seeing the message "There is nothing to research" for a while).
  • The_Cookie_MonsterThe_Cookie_Monster Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited April 28
    I just had a look at it, it seems really great! (Keep up the good work) I find it quite cool how NeverEnding Legacy has only been out for just over a month and people have already been creating really nice modifications (such as this one) for it)!
    Sekhmet said:

Hmmm... "spiritualism" does not appear in my list of research, and I'm using the "research tier" option...

(I think I got all the technologies since I'm building my mausoleum and I have been seeing the message "There is nothing to research" for a while).

And yeah, that happens for me as well, you might want to try and fix that... :P
    Post edited by The_Cookie_Monster on
    I AM YODA
    all my friends in the whole entire world: @The_Cookie_Monster, @Drago_Meh, @Maniklas, @McJagger, @Lefian.
    I am r a i n b o w ! !
    "RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily." ~Lefian
    meh
    RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily.
    Sekhmet said:

And yeah, that happens for me as well, you might want to try and fix that... :P

I misspoke, the requirement is "ritualism" not "spiritualism." I just tested with a new playthrough using the version linked above and it does work.

If you're updating the mod within an existing game it's possible that although I am trying to keep everything backwards compatible, there's something in your old data that's preventing it from showing up. One of the things I intend to do is a data fix on page load for situations like the "true" vs "on" typo above.
  • The_Cookie_MonsterThe_Cookie_Monster Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Oh, OK! Sure thing...
    I AM YODA
    all my friends in the whole entire world: @The_Cookie_Monster, @Drago_Meh, @Maniklas, @McJagger, @Lefian.
    I am r a i n b o w ! !
    "RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily." ~Lefian
    meh
    RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily.
    edited April 29
    I've restarted the game, and now I see it appearing in the list of technologies. :)

Edit: I still see it, but it doesn't seem to unlock... what is wrong with my game?

Here's my save file: https://pastebin.com/dkqBS7cR
    Post edited by Sekhmet on
    Looking at your save file, you still have the original version of the modpack, and for some reason the code that loads the manifest is not working properly, even though the link is correct and should have updated the URL. I'm working on a bugfix for that, but in the meantime you'll have to manually update the mod list in the settings.

I'm working on a new version, and with it hopefully a fix or workaround for the manifest issue.
    Restarting worked. Thanks! :)

By the way, it would be convenient if you could edit your first post to put there a link with the latest version, which is always a bit hard to find in all the answers. :)
    Sekhmet said:

Restarting worked. Thanks! :)

By the way, it would be convenient if you could edit your first post to put there a link with the latest version, which is always a bit hard to find in all the answers. :)

Already did that once I realized the manifests aren't working ;)
  • NoahBogueNoahBogue Member Posts: 4
    Orteil should add public baths for upgrading health.
  • UJustGotTrumpedUJustGotTrumped Member Posts: 2
    Hey i never really realized how much work you guys put into stuff until now, so good job. And will there be a future update to NeverEnding Legacy with new wonders
    NoahBogue said:

Orteil should add public baths for upgrading health.

Especially since it is hard to upgrading health. I have never been able to get it above 12 or 13%.

Maybe starting by a "rule" that allows people washing themselves in water (using water), then baths (using fire and water)?