Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Offline progression is not a heavenly upgrade

jupiterboyjupiterboy Member, Wiener Posts: 53
Why the heck is offline progression a heavenly upgrade? It should be 100% all the time that your game is closed, as if "Perfect idling" is on all the time.

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be glad there's offline production at all. How many cookies do you bake when you're sleeping?

If you want perfect idling, hack in the upgrade. No one will judge ya for playing the way you want.

• UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause it adds more depth to the game.

• Stret1311Stret1311 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited May 7
    ( deleted comment cuz i did just realise its an old post )
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the heck is offline progression a heavenly upgrade? It should be 100% all the time that your game is closed, as if "Perfect idling" is on all the time.

I am INCREDIBLY late for this, but there's idling and then there's just being lazy. You can't bother to leave a fucking tab open? If you really want to have perfect production 24 hours that badly, get the upgrade or do what most pros did before idling upgrades and leave your computer on 24/7.
    C҉a҉n҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉ ҉f҉e҉e҉l҉ ҉t҉h҉e҉ ҉d҉a҉r҉k҉n҉e҉s҉s҉ ҉c҉r҉a҉w҉l҉i҉n҉g҉ ҉w҉i҉t҉h҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉r҉ ҉s҉i҉n҉s҉?҉

and leave your computer on 24/7.
    For some reason i always think that this is a bit of cheating

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stret1311 said:

and leave your computer on 24/7.
    For some reason i always think that this is a bit of cheating

S'wat we used to do back before all this fancy-schmancy "offline idling upgrade," "Prisms," and "Cookie Dragon" nonsense. Why, I remember back in 2013, when Obama was president and we spent our days harvesting cookies out on the farm. (Insert continuation to this rambling old man tangent here.)
    C҉a҉n҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉ ҉f҉e҉e҉l҉ ҉t҉h҉e҉ ҉d҉a҉r҉k҉n҉e҉s҉s҉ ҉c҉r҉a҉w҉l҉i҉n҉g҉ ҉w҉i҉t҉h҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉r҉ ҉s҉i҉n҉s҉?҉
  • WarpZoneWarpZone Member Posts: 3
    edited May 10
    Noob player here. I just left my computer running all night in an attempt to compensate for this, and it's NOT worth it in the long run!

Offline Progression should be 100% by default because that's how other idle games work. And that's the only reason offline progression should be 100% by default.

Yes, I realize that Cookie Clicker pretty much created the genre in its modern form. That doesn't mean it should ignore all the innovations its competitors have made. The genre has evolved.

Check out this talk from GDC about what goes into a good idle game:

In it, the creator of Adventure Capitalist goes through the history of the genre and explains why offline play is good for players, good for developers/publishers.

(It'll also give you a head start on making your own damn Idle game if you're tired of waiting for this one to catch up with the status quo of the industry it helped create. :P)
    WarpZone said:

Noob player here. I just left my computer running all night in an attempt to compensate for this, and it's NOT worth it in the long run!

Offline Progression should be 100% by default because that's how other idle games work. And that's the only reason offline progression should be 100% by default.

Yes, I realize that Cookie Clicker pretty much created the genre in its modern form. That doesn't mean it should ignore all the innovations its competitors have made. The genre has evolved.

Check out this talk from GDC about what goes into a good idle game:

In it, the creator of Adventure Capitalist goes through the history of the genre and explains why offline play is good for players, good for developers/publishers.

(It'll also give you a head start on making your own damn Idle game if you're tired of waiting for this one to catch up with the status quo of the industry it helped create. :P)

If it was 100% offline progression, it would be easy as hell and pretty much ruim the game. And if it is not, then explain me why the upgrade that lets you do that is an Debug upgrade.

For me, good idle games are games that you actually do something other than just being idle, idle and idle. On cookie clicker its common that sometimes, idling wont do much profit and you will need to do stuff ( ex, actively click golden cookies )

Meanwhile, 100% idle only games are like, enter the game every few days, click like 10 things and repeat.