Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Apex (Superhero RP thing)

¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,940Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 5 in Playground
Basically, this is a superhero thing I'm doing. This one is in an alternate timeline, details below. ((Recommended reading, I know it's a long-ass thing but please, I'd prefer not to have to make the characters go into exposition mode whenever someone didn't read the timeline.))

World War 1(exact year undisclosed) - First discovered superhuman found in an undisclosed location in Britain.
1918 - Research has begun into how superhuman abilities function and are caused. No findings reported by the end of the decade.

1939 - First superhuman deployed into war; Sgt. Theodore Bouchard (No code name) fights for America.
1940 - Superhuman research results in the first human-engineered superhuman; Corporal Thorsten Kuster is set out into the field.
1941 - Corporal Kuster is killed in war by Sgt. Bouchard.
1944 - Sgt. Bouchard is slain.

1960 - Superhuman research is finally axed, as the results of the one project to artificially engineer a superhuman were lost. Their last discovery was that superhuman beings have perhaps existed since before written history.

2001 - First military-employed superhuman since 1965; Sgt. Helen Bishop joins the government's payroll - one of the most powerful superhumans known. Later rescues civilians during 9/11.
2003 - Iraq war begins. Sgt. Bishop is immediately assigned to the field, participating in a number of victories for the United States.
2014 - Apex organization officially founded to combat future superhuman threats, though no public fanfare was made. Sgt. Bishop takes a leadership role in the Civilian Defense sector.
2015 to 2017 - Recruitment of further superhumans is performed, leading to the introduction of Eliza Harmon, Hannah Watson, Robert Smith and Zachary Wright.
2017, present day - The recruiters find all willing heroes. ((This includes characters we sign up as.)) The Apex organization later publicly announces itself. Sgt. Bishop presents herself as a daring threat to any "supervillain" that dares to keep going.

There is also a power ranking system. Ranking system as such;

1. Untrained human
2. Moderately trained human.
3. Expertly trained human.
4. Beta
5. Mega
6. Ultra
7. Paragon (Very powerful, but surprisingly enough, as proven by Zachary Wright, not all are even superhuman. Permission-based.)
8. Hammer (Presents even a whole team of Beta-Ultra characters - the characters I want to see on the field - a challenge. Permission-based.)
9. Penumbrate (So far is literally just two superhumans overall have been discovered to reach this level; one of them is on this team and the other is dead, as far as anyone knows. Not accepting apps for Penumbrates.)
10. Omega (Oh, hell no. We're never seeing a true Omega in a single character. People can claim to be Omega-tier and then fall flat, but no true Omegas. The only true Omega we'll ever see is a whole alien invasion fleet or asteroid heading for Earth or other such bullshit.)

Basic profiles for characters; (Required. Use the formula for these. I'm not providing a template. Keep Past at a basic level, please.)

Sgt. Helen Bishop
Penumbrate
Powers: Flight, high resilience to damage, extremely high levels of super strength. (Seriously, you'd have to be a Paragon-level strength of powers with high resilience as your only power to take her punches.)
Past: Soldier in the US military and air forces. Fought in the Iraq war, even encountered some superhumans on the battlefield. Founding member of Apex, leader of the Civilian Defense sector.
Codename: None.

Eliza Harmon
Ultra
Powers: Teleportation, summoning of clones, enhanced strength depending on how many clones are out in the open. (Eliza has the average strength of a 19 year old girl when she's been stretched to her ever-increasing limit; she can have up to 16 times that with absolutely no clones, putting her in line with Hannah at near full strength - she never risks going full strength for fear that their opponent will land a blow first.)
Past: Comic nerd who discovered her superpowers while rushing to college one day, became obsessed with new experiences due to being able to experience multiple things as once due to her cloning ability. Joined Apex all for the experience, but ended up sticking around. Leader of the Public Relations sector.
Codename: None.

Hannah Watson
Paragon
Powers: High resilience and super strength. Can transfer her powers into either her strength or her resilience how she wishes, to the point of being able to transfer herself to their logical extremes(invulnerable, but can't attack, or undefeatably strong, but will die in one hit), making her an even more dangerous foe.
Past: Discovered her powers whilst fending off a mugger. Joined the police force, but was transferred to Apex, where they thought her abilities would be more useful.
Codename: Shifter

Robert Smith
Beta
Powers: Can turn invisible at will.
Past: Detective who discovered his powers in ways he's never elaborated on. Was later transferred to Apex, for the same reasons as Hannah.
Codename: Detective Specter

Zackary Wright
Paragon
Powers: Incredible agility and strength, mistaken for superhuman on more than one occasion; truly just a highly skilled martial artist. To absolutely infuriating levels - the only one in the whole company who's managed to beat Zackary in a fair training spar is Sgt. Bishop, who is 2 tiers above him.
Past: Comes from a family of martial artists, finding most fights not challenging for him. Went into often illegal street fighting and tournaments, and went to the MMA but quickly left after 3 rounds that were over within 10 seconds. Took the Apex job to find a real challenge - no results have yet been formed.
Codename: Master W

Alexander Glover
Mega
Powers: Has the ability to control heat, to absorb heat to heal and to expend energy to make things melt, has a low amount of superspeed, and can run at ~40kph
(hot atoms jiggle lots, and this is what the superspeed is based off.)
Past: Comes from a poor family that had nothing, until they won second division on lotto, where he quickly became spoiled and burned the house down, He quickly removed the fire, and minimal damage was sustained.
Codename: Vulcan

Brock S.F. Storm
Ultra
Power: I can read and control minds, and sometimes I can channel electricity using mental charges from my brain cells and nervously cells.
Past: I have inherited my super powers from my parents, or one of my parents, I do not know because they died when I was 3, I was left to rot in the orphanage, at the age of 16 I discovered my super power and started to enjoy it... until I left the orphanage and became and adult, my super power helped me with so much stuff, like question competitions and stuff, but now it's time to use it for a real cause...
Code name: Brainstorm

You must be accepted before you can RP, and, uh...Have fun.

I will review your powers to decide if they're appropriate for your tier - if not, you will be forced to edit your app, and if so, you will be accepted. (You can also PM reasons for a lower tier, if it relates to personality/actual competence with your abilities.)
"My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
"tfw he won't listen to a 40 year old man rap about vegetables and then he tells me this" - Goldra
Post edited by ¤RunninginReverse¤ on

Comments

• UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,772Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulcan
    Mega (maybe beta if this is unavailable)
    Powers: Has the ability to control heat, to absorb heat to heal and to expend energy to make things melt, has a low amount of superspeed, and can run at ~40kph
    Past: Comes from a poor family that had nothing, until they won second division on lotto, where he quickly became spoiled and burned the house down, He quickly removed the fire, and minimal damage was sustained.
    I'd say he's very competent, and can probably easily burn a building down in a controlled fashion.

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,940Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭

Vulcan
    Mega (maybe beta if this is unavailable)
    I'd say he's very competent, and can probably easily burn a building down in a controlled fashion.

All Apex participants have their real name revealed(Admittedly, it's closer to superhuman police than it is a full super-group; they don't do secret identities.) Real name is required.

Other than that, you're good.

Also, there is no reason Mega would be "unavailable." Power tiers aren't a first-come, first-served thing; they're just a general identifier of one's power level.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    "tfw he won't listen to a 40 year old man rap about vegetables and then he tells me this" - Goldra
    I'm not good at like names, but I guess Lothar Calabrese could work.

I'm not good at like names, but I guess Lothar Calabrese could work.

That's a bit...Odd for this RP - characters are generally living in the United States, 2017.

You could just google a name generator.
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 9,895Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll return to this later...
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx

That's a bit...Odd for this RP - characters are generally living in the United States, 2017.

Googled one and messed around with settings. Alexander Glover

I'll return to this later...

k den

Googled one and messed around with settings. Alexander Glover
    Application accepted. Feel free to write up a character intro any time - I'll put your app into the profile list.

Application accepted. Feel free to write up a character intro any time - I'll put your app into the profile list.

What exactly do you mean about that?

"Feel free to write up a character intro any time."

I was hoping that was more obvious, but...Just do a thing with your character now.

Sgt. Bishop will stop by and invite you to the Apex organization...Soon.
    Any thing? I'm thinking of like, being in his apartment doing things.

Of course, that's fine, but do RP out the things.
    (Usually I like to change from third to first person, I hope this is okay)
    Alexander was sitting in his apartment, just living out a morning. He grabs his mug, which is covered in cracks from heatshock and brews himself a nice tea. He goes and switches onto the news, and immediately sees a story about how a farm was razed by a group of teens. Oh how he would've loved to be there to stop them. He changes channels and realises it's nearly 1PM and he hasn't had something to eat yet (I'm assuming the visit is in the afternoon) Heating up some leftover meat to eat as it's been in the fridge for days now- as he can cook things with his powers. Just a few minutes after he's finished his lunch a call comes from reception.

(Horribly cheesy segue points pls?)

Brock Speedforce Storm

Am I supposed to choose Power ranks or just start at the beginning? If so, Expertly Trained? I don't know, I'm confused with Uio's entry.

Power: I can read and control minds, and sometimes I can channel electricity to use thundershocks or electric shocks.

Past: Nothing interesting, just a home child... son of The Flash and Invisible Girl, I have been training all my life to use super powers, with help from mom and dad... I became skillful at using the powers I have, but I don't know if I'll discover more later on, and yes, The Flash's real name is Speedforce Storm.

Codename: Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time

Brock Speedforce Storm

Am I supposed to choose Power ranks or just start at the beginning? If so, Expertly Trained? I don't know, I'm confused with Uio's entry.

Power: I can read and control minds, and sometimes I can channel electricity to use thundershocks or electric shocks.

Past: Nothing interesting, just a home child... son of The Flash and Invisible Girl, I have been training all my life to use super powers, with help from mom and dad... I became skillful at using the powers I have, but I don't know if I'll discover more later on, and yes, The Flash's real name is Speedforce Storm.

Codename: Brainstorm

Okay...I see several things here;

1. Expertly Trained is tier 3, and is still a "non-superhuman" rank. Just a really well trained normal human, like a soldier or the like. I'd place your powers at Ultra, honestly - mind control, plus electricity? Most supers at least have their powers connected in some ways, but you honestly have no connection between your electricity and your telepathy. Both are also pretty powerful abilities, when you think about it.
    2. You can't use canon Marvel or DC characters here - they're still just fictional characters in the Apex universe. Most people are born with their powers seemingly at random, if you need help with the origin, but you could add how he discovered his powers, any events that might lead to him accepting Apex' call to action...Stuff like that. No superhumans have been artificially engineered by science, and very few others differentiate from the norm in other ways.
    3. Even if I did allow the Flash to be your father, I am a major DC Comics fan and I can tell you that no Speedster in history has ever been named "Speedforce Storm," let alone the Flash himself.
    4. Due to you being one of the few superhumans with powers with no connections between each other, you're going to have difficulty learning it all, setting you behind compared to your co-workers. Eliza is similar in this regard, but being she can use her clones to learn more about her teleport ability - and, thus, learn more about the clones themselves - and her super strength is straightforward enough to not really have to "learn" about it, she really suffers from no penalties.

On the topic of Eliza, I'm bumping her classification up to Ultra for the same reasons as classifying Brainstorm as Ultra.

(Usually I like to change from third to first person, I hope this is okay)
    Alexander was sitting in his apartment, just living out a morning. He grabs his mug, which is covered in cracks from heatshock and brews himself a nice tea. He goes and switches onto the news, and immediately sees a story about how a farm was razed by a group of teens. Oh how he would've loved to be there to stop them. He changes channels and realises it's nearly 1PM and he hasn't had something to eat yet (I'm assuming the visit is in the afternoon) Heating up some leftover meat to eat as it's been in the fridge for days now- as he can cook things with his powers. Just a few minutes after he's finished his lunch a call comes from reception.

(Horribly cheesy segue points pls?)

As the call comes in, at the same time, you hear a knock at the door.

((The Apex recruiters prefer to talk to those they're inviting to the organization in person.))
    Well, electric shocks actually come from my brain, they are some kinds of "brain shocks", I don't have full control over them, and sometimes they go off at random, they are both related, my name is not "Brainstorm" for no reason...

Okay, let's just change a part of the plot and make my parents two not so famous super heroes.

Well, electric shocks actually come from my brain, they are some kinds of "brain shocks", I don't have full control over them, and sometimes they go off at random, they are both related, my name is not "Brainstorm" for no reason...

Okay, let's just change a part of the plot and make my parents two not so famous super heroes.

Some more things, I suppose;

1. There are no true "super heroes" baseline in the Apex timeline - I believe that would be notable enough to include in the timeline up on the main post if it did happen, but it...Well, it hasn't happened - partially due to most people being concerned with just how the government treats supernatural abilities in civilian hands. Super-criminals that the police truthfully cannot handle are an occurrence(though a rare one), but Sgt. Bishop has generally dropped in when necessary.

2. To tell the truth, any "super heroes" fighting crime that are operating outside of the Apex organization would be classified as vigilantes, regardless of how they actually operated - completely denying them aide from the local police department or the Apex organization now that it's founded. They're going to take a "join or stop" stance on vigilantes once Apex is publicized - they'll be tracked down and an invitation will be extended to join Apex with the added benefit of not being arrested, and upon ignorance of the request, a cease and desist will be extended. If they don't stop after being served the cease-and-desist, they are classed as criminals officially.

3. Superpowers truthfully aren't automatically hereditary in the first place - the chance of being born a super is slightly increased if one or both of your parents were supers, but there's still an incredibly slim chance of being a superhuman even if both of your parents are.
    Well, it just happened that I inherited superpowers... what is left to complete the application now?

Well, it just happened that I inherited superpowers... what is left to complete the application now?

Re-write the app with the new backstory and the explanation for the electricity, as well as Ultra rank rather than Expertly Trained Human rank, and you're approved.
    I'll ignore the call from reception as usually I don't get visitors. I'll go over to the door and open it.

I'll ignore the call from reception as usually I don't get visitors. I'll go over to the door and open it.

There, standing in the door, is an...Interesting-looking woman. Long hair dyed purple, bold blue eyes, tan skin that seems to have a look of metallic sheen, and she's wearing...What appears to be a grey and black suit in a "camouflage" pattern. A golden, shield-shaped badge with "APEX" engraved on it is on her chest, placed in such a position that it seems to be attempting to protect her heart.

You remember hearing about her before on television - she fought in the Iraq War. She's one of the supers, or so most claim - you aren't particularly fond of rumors, but you wouldn't be surprised, with the "metallic-looking skin" thing, combined with the fact that you, yourself, are one. Super or not, she has done things that have earned her a level of fame.

Her name is Sgt. Helen Bishop.

"Greetings, Mr...Glover, is it? Can I come in? There's some important business I need to discuss with you."
    Brock S.F. Storm

Ultra

Power: I can read and control minds, and sometimes I can channel electricity using mental charges from my brain cells and nervously cells.

Past: I have inherited my super powers from my parents, or one of my parents, I do not know because they died when I was 3, I was left to rot in the orphanage, at the age of 16 I discovered my super power and started to enjoy it... until I left the orphanage and became and adult, my super power helped me with so much stuff, like question competitions and stuff, but now it's time to use it for a real cause...

Code name: Brainstorm

<
    There, standing in the door, is an...Interesting-looking woman. Long hair dyed purple, bold blue eyes, tan skin that seems to have a look of metallic sheen, and she's wearing...What appears to be a grey and black suit in a "camouflage" pattern. A golden, shield-shaped badge with "APEX" engraved on it is on her chest, placed in such a position that it seems to be attempting to protect her heart.

You remember hearing about her before on television - she fought in the Iraq War. She's one of the supers, or so most claim - you aren't particularly fond of rumors, but you wouldn't be surprised, with the "metallic-looking skin" thing, combined with the fact that you, yourself, are one. Super or not, she has done things that have earned her a level of fame.

Her name is Sgt. Helen Bishop.

"Greetings, Mr...Glover, is it? Can I come in? There's some important business I need to discuss with you."

I'll stand there stunned for a moment, to have a war hero standing infront of me and act confident when inviting Helen in.

"Make yourself at home if you wish. What type of business would require you to come around, instead of just some messenger?"

Sgt. Bishop enters, closing the door behind her.

"I'm just gonna say it how it is...Mr. Glover, I know you're a superhuman."

She sits down in a chair. "I've been sent to find all able-bodied superhumans and extend an invite...To the Apex organization."

The...Apex organization? And people said that was just a load of rumors by crackpot conspiracy theorists. Rumored to be created to protect the United States against "super-villains." It was dismissed at first, but you guess it's real?
    I'll take another pause.
    "Yeah, I understand the city must not be run by people with ill intentions, however I don't think I'd be a first choice. Being near anyone else is potentially dangerous for me."

(I'd say as a superhuman I probably poked around a little into some public records, trying to find traces of anything interesting)

"It just seems a bit risky, however I'm not entirely sure of what I'll be doing in particular."

"Basically, the Apex organization is designed so humans both super and not will be trained, equipped and strengthened to fight superhuman threats if the need arises."

So, basically supervillains.

"Admittedly, you're not our only choice of recruit - several operatives as well as some of our more powerful members are going to be heading around and recruiting. You're one of the only people on our list, truthfully - superhumans, as you can imagine, are hard to come by. Some speculate it's 100 to 200 per nation, per generation."
    edited March 5
    "I guess that will help, and I'll certainly join. I'd be kicking myself if I didn't."

"My main concern is with being injured from people stronger, faster and tougher than myself. As my main power is just cooling/heating objects. As you would know"

(like, if you think about it, my character is quite bad compared to a person who's like a mini-superman. They'll be too resilient to be frozen/cremated, and they'll just bat me away if I do get close)

"Your concern won't be much of a concern for long. At the Apex base, we can train you for hand-to-hand combat, firearms training, and, of course, training your powers."

Sgt. Bishop gets up. "I'll lead the way."

Also, I just realized, I never approved Brainstorm. You're good to go, buddy.

"Your concern won't be much of a concern for long. At the Apex base, we can train you for hand-to-hand combat, firearms training, and, of course, training your powers."

Great, cause I was gonna go leeroy Jenkins on you if I hadn't got approved in a span of 24 hours

What story do I have now?

I'll go grab my keys, and lock the door behind me. Then I'll follow Sgt. Bishop.

I'll go grab my keys, and lock the door behind me. Then I'll follow Sgt. Bishop.
    Sgt. Bishop leads you to a building. This one has no mark of any sort indicating it's any company's building, but it seems that a construction crew is working on that as you arrive.

"Welcome to the Apex headquarters...Where's Eliza? She should be here."

Eliza then proceeds to teleport into the room with a 'ping' noise. She's wearing a similar military uniform, but with a hat bearing the Apex logo on it. She has strawberry blonde colored, short hair and brown eyes.

"Hey, Helen. This one of the new recruits?" Eliza asks.

"Yeah," Helen responds. "Take him on a tour of the building, then introduce him to the team."

"Got it...Should I leave a clone here for any other arrivals?"

"I feel like your clones would be better put to use recruiting."

"Got it."

With that, 4 clones of Eliza are formed.

"The comm team will give you addresses for any likely recruits," Sgt. Bishop says. "Mr. Glover, follow Eliza. She'll give you a tour of the building."

With that, Main!Eliza begins to lead you to the building.

Great, cause I was gonna go leeroy Jenkins on you if I hadn't got approved in a span of 24 hours

What story do I have now?
    You're gonna start like Uiomancant did. In your normal life, doing whatever-the-fuck, before a wild Apex agent appears and recruits you to the team.