Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Got Hardcore?

JezJez Posts: 54Member ✭✭
edited February 22 in General Discussion
So with two achievements to go (not including a couple of Shadow achievements) I just noticed 'Hardcore', described as:

'Get to 1 billion cookies with no upgrades purchased.'

I haven't got this one yet so it sems that I might ascend again in the morning and go for that one. I'll obviously need to activate Challenge mode for that.

Any thoughts on how long it'll take to reach a billion without any upgrades whatsoever? It's been a long time since I started clean.

Comments

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 363Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 22
    I got Hardcore just recently, having only just learned about it.
    I didn't think to note down the duration of the Hardcore run. However I just noticed that for my current run I have recorded 6 hours of non-playing time. I record non-playing time when the game is not running for any reason, eg. when it is closed, when the PC has frozen while I was away, etc. I do this because the game counts total playing time based on the original date/time the game was started, whereas I am only interested in tabulating actual play time. I would have included the Hardcore run time in this 6 hours; however I think it also includes some time when the PC was hung or off, I think the Hardcore run took maybe 2-3 hours.

I do know that I needed to get to the level of one wizard tower. After getting that, I realised that although wizard towers were the "best buy", I was going to reach the billion before I could buy another wizard tower, hence I stopped playing strategically and just bought whatever buildings I could afford. The billion arrived quite quickly from that point.
  • JezJez Posts: 54Member ✭✭
    Bollocks to it. Just went for it and reincarnated in Challenge Mode. If I can't be bothered to play actively I'll just take it to a decent CPS and let it run till morning.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 244Member ✭✭✭
    Is that a shadow achievement?

Is that a shadow achievement?

No it's a fully fledged achievement.

• reptobroreptobro Posts: 1Member
    I just did this the other day. Using Cookie Monster to select the optimal build order it took about 5 hours, but that is active play (had it tabbed while I did other work).
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 244Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Oh shit. I assumed that last missing one was for ascending with undecillion cookies.

Oh shit. I assumed that last missing one was for ascending with undecillion cookies.

I think the game should tell you what each achievement is for, including the ones you have not obtained yet. I find it strange that it leaves you to just make an educated guess as to what it might be, rather than actually giving you a target to aim for. You shouldn't have to go to a Wiki page to find out.
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 12,604Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the game should tell you what each achievement is for, including the ones you have not obtained yet. I find it strange that it leaves you to just make an educated guess as to what it might be, rather than actually giving you a target to aim for. You shouldn't have to go to a Wiki page to find out.
    Correction; SOME of the achievements.

A good amount of the achievements, deciding what you're actually supposed to do is part of earning it - it would make "Here you go" too easy, for example, since literally all you have to do is click on the achievement. Free milk.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
    edited March 1

Correction; SOME of the achievements.

A good amount of the achievements, deciding what you're actually supposed to do is part of earning it - it would make "Here you go" too easy, for example, since literally all you have to do is click on the achievement. Free milk.
    You say "free milk" as though that were a bad thing. :D I am currently enjoying an ice cold spearmint flavoured milk, the same colour as my on-screen milk, just the thing on a hot summer night (first night of autumn actually, if you wish to quibble).

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 12,604Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭

You say "free milk" as though that were a bad thing. :D

Game-wise, it is. Obviously, Orteil wouldn't be particularly keen on creating achievements that people can get without even starting the game itself yet - and that's how simple it would be to get "Here you go." I would say for the "Dunk the cookie" achievement, too, but that requires you to have milk in the first place.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • NamliamNamliam Posts: 124Member ✭✭
    It's a 3-5 hour run in late-game. Well worth it.
    edited March 10
    I enjoyed doing my Hardcore run so much, I am going to do it again.

Yep, that's right. I lost about 2 weeks' work due to PC hiccups, so I shall have to repeat it.