Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

[SUGGESTION] "Users Online" section

Camwood7Camwood7 Posts: 141Member ✭✭✭
All this time, and we don't have any widget to display how many users are currently online, who they are, or other stuff like that? Other forums have that sort of thing, but we don't. And it's strange, because that seems like it'd be pretty useful!
Literally dunk the points you'd give onto my other account, this one has zero value to me and will literally cease to be relevant come May June 1st June 18th June 19th: @Cookiewoodstock

Hi, I'm Barry Scott. Bang, and the signature is gone.

Comments

• LefianLefian Posts: 1,742Member ✭✭✭
    I agree m8y. That's all the input I have to offer.
    "You're all forgetting the skit on his show that implies that conservative Christians should be raped out of their heterosexuality."~NotDLK
    RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily.
  • ManiklasManiklas Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's a good Idea noh8m8thinkitsgr8
    Is god a cookie, or is the cookie a god?
    The world may never know
    "You have now, officially broken the game,"-Maniklas
    "Okay, ANYWAY, yes, I am a magician,"-RunninginReverse
    """"My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge" - Agubhagu
    Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,038Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    Recently I've been trying things on my own version of vanilla forums, mainly to see what works and what not and if it does, "How?".
    There are ways to add a "who is online" list but it comes with some downsides.

- It takes up resources which might not be that bad right now but if we were more people again, it could start to cause lags and other issues, potentially.
    (with just one user i can not do much testing for that.)

- The two working plugins I found have the ability to let the user decide if he shows up on that list or not, which, by experience from Skype and Slack group, is something people tend to use. (Nothing against lurking but setting yourself to offline in a messenger is rather pointless. And it would make the feature on the forums pointless as well.)

So, because of that I think that an online-list is rather unnecessary; some people would just set themselves to 'invisible' and at the same time it would use up resources that could be used for other things.

I don't see much use for it to justify the work you have to put into it as well. If that thing is added, the Forums style sheet has to be updated too.

For those who are curious what it would look like by default:

"You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 9,245Member ✭✭✭✭
    (Hey, that was MY suggestion!)

I'm all ears, bud.
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx
  • AgubhaguAgubhagu Posts: 566Member ✭✭✭
    i don't really see a point to this, honestly. you can check if someone is online by clicking on their profile.
    *insert sarcasm*
    *insert quote* *insert own quote*
    *insert discussion link* *insert other links* *insert dragons*
    *free insert space* *insert meta**insert funny*
    *insert proper signature*
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,038Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    Agubhagu said:

i don't really see a point to this, honestly. you can check if someone is online by clicking on their profile.

Technically speaking you can only check if they were online recently. The point to an online list would be to see who is online right now or who was in the past few minutes depending on the settings. Makes more sense than checking every single of the couple of thousand accounts each.
    "You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
  • AgubhaguAgubhagu Posts: 566Member ✭✭✭
    it's not too hard to check, i think. it is a bit tiring after a while, but i don't think people constantly check if someone's online. if what i am saying is true, there wouldn't be much point to an online list. it would slow things a bit for not much reason, since everyone online would be on it( i don't think that many users are interested in knowing every person that is online).
    *insert sarcasm*
    *insert quote* *insert own quote*
    *insert discussion link* *insert other links* *insert dragons*
    *free insert space* *insert meta**insert funny*
    *insert proper signature*