Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

What are your opinions on "normie memes"?

PalutenaPalutena Posts: 442Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 5 in Off Topic
By normie memes I mean memes that became greatly popular with pretty much anyone and start to become everywhere on the internet, especially on sites like twitter (examples would be harambe, bottle flipping, dabbing, pokemon go, damn daniel)
I think almost all of them are okay. The only one I don't really like is the damn daniel one
The full uncropped version of my profile pic is here - http://i.imgur.com/vJ4xMie.png

Glory to Cobrastan.

What are your opinions on "normie memes"? 34 votes

They're GREAT!
2%
dt200 1 vote
Most of them are good
11%
BillaboPalutenaBrainstormdt200 4 votes
OK I guess
20%
¤RunninginReverse¤100lolMasterSparkyUiomancantFrank_3everestVinidt200 7 votes
Don't like them very much
17%
Jarr2003CaesarKarlolinAgubhaguCamwood7KhalidPlays 6 votes
Kill them with fire!
23%
japanmanDWalkthroughGuyZonoro13IdleGamesRockTheKniferCarmoryManiklasidc 8 votes
Other
23%
GoldraDarkmatterfireDrago_mehChisakoadam_antichristBreadstickdt200gneratoror 8 votes

Comments

• ViniVini Posts: 2,038Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK I guess
    Everything the gets too mainstream is bound to become cringy or something anyway. #hipsterpride

• ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,038Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    Other
    Memes are either stupid, become stupid or are simply over-used... (I am no exception to that at times, I'm aware of it, so no need to think of me as a hypocrite.)
    In the end I would be fine if memes would just go extinct, not only the "normie memes" but every meme.
    "You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
  • Jarr2003Jarr2003 Posts: 3,445Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It kinda depends on the meme, though. Stuff like bottle flipping, in my opinion, is stupid, while things like We Are Number One I feel are fine.
    "its like every 5 AS you require 10x more souls." -uiomancant
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Dashnet Plays NationStates: Play now! Please...
  • idcidc Posts: 53Member ✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    They are all stupid and overused. Some are outright retarded such as sneezing... i mean dabbing.
    idc said:

They are all stupid and overused. Some are outright retarded such as sneezing... i mean dabbing.

I honestly have no idea why people think dabbing is cool. It looks stupid in my opinion.
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • idcidc Posts: 53Member ✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    Jarr2003 said:

idc said:

I honestly have no idea why people think dabbing is cool. It looks stupid in my opinion.
    It is an unwritten rule that dance crazes have to get stupider and stupider.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Posts: 273Member ✭✭✭
    Other
    I like them if they are funny, which means only the gifs and image macros and not the setting yourself on fire type of meme.

• Camwood7Camwood7 Posts: 138Member, Wiener ✭✭✭
    Some can be good. But most... Aren't.
    Literally dunk the points you'd give onto my other account, this one has zero value to me and will literally cease to be relevant come May: @Cookiewoodstock

Hi, I'm Barry Scott. Bang, and the signature is gone.
  • CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,822Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    i only enjoy siiva memes nowadays
    check out my wiener role its so attractive
  • dt200dt200 Posts: 2,707Member, Wiener ✭✭
    Other
    Wha?
    "You can't get into sigs if you try hard!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!!" -Darkmatterfire
    "Dude, you can't just quote yourself." -kirdneh
    "Now I can." -dt200 in reply to kirdneh even though it is sig only
    "I have bent all known laws!" -dt200 in reply to the above
    Carmory said:

Yeah, those are pretty much the only decent ones as of late, along with other ones inspired by them. (The "X but Y changes" memes and all of their variations owe their existence to GiIvasunner and I love those) They seem to be the only memes that, well, feel like actual memes.

Stuff like Damn Daniel and Harambe were stillborns and were spammed to death just to make absolutely sure there was NO humor in them.

Those videos, though, with the hypothetically infinite combinations possible with them, you can literally never grow old of them. If one base video gets old, another one can easily take its place.

Just look at what happened to The Nutshack theme, followed by We Are Number One, followed by the Bee Movie Trailer, followed briefly by The Mine Song, and currently Let It Grow from the Lorax (and a hint of Thneedville/How Bad Can I Be). You'd be hard pressed to find an end, so long as fictional works keep being made. It's a concept for a meme that, debatably, could live forever due to not being so much a meme, but more of a format for memes to follow.
    Literally dunk the points you'd give onto my other account, this one has zero value to me and will literally cease to be relevant come May: @Cookiewoodstock

• DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,387Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Other
    We're not 4chan. :^)
    I gotta admit meme arrows are pretty kreygasm though.

edit: I didn't read OP and I thought this was just pepe
  • DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Posts: 3,415Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭

edit: I didn't read OP and I thought this was just pepe

Hillary Clinton killed any chance of him becoming truly mainstream.
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 7,330Member ✭✭✭✭
    Most of them are good
    Admit it, you can't live without normies.
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm
    "You, young man, have increased the troll count by 1, troll thread count by 1, and countless other count counter counts by 1." -Brainstorm
    "We now have a perfect excuse to necrobump forum games." -Brainstorm
    I wonder what this is! Only the most epic link EVER! :o
    Pastebin statpage for Dungeon Maker: http://pastebin.com/mdPqPQVv

I think I would be perfectly fine without Damn Daniel, dabbing, and bottle flipping.
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • TheKniferTheKnifer Posts: 2,347Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    Jarr2003 said:

I think I would be perfectly fine without Damn Daniel, dabbing, and bottle flipping.
    Those words make me cringe.
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 13,349Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I guess
    I feel like it really depends on the meme. Some of them can be funny if done correctly. Harambe is overdone and just mocking a dead gorilla by now, I'm not sure why Damn Daniel even became a thing, and bottle flips are just stupid.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • TheKniferTheKnifer Posts: 2,347Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill them with fire!

I feel like it really depends on the meme. Some of them can be funny if done correctly. Harambe is overdone and just mocking a dead gorilla by now, I'm not sure why Damn Daniel even became a thing, and bottle flips are just stupid.

They are kicking a dead gorilla with Harambe now.
  • Drago_mehDrago_meh Posts: 2,544Member, Wiener ✭✭✭
    Other
    eh depends on the meme. in my opinion most of the newer memes are just completely horrible and cringy, but occasionally there's a good one. I prefer some of the really old memes though so yea.
    "The true newbie of Dashnet"
    yes you all can call me a newbie

Also I am a dragon and my young dragons must grow so please help
    http://dragcave.net/user/Drago_Meh

Saying Harambe was overdone implies there was comedy to have overdone in the first place. It was dead on arrival; a stillborn meme. But then it kept being used in spite of that.

Camwood7 said:

Saying Harambe was overdone implies there was comedy to have overdone in the first place. It was dead on arrival; a stillborn meme. But then it kept being used in spite of that.
    I thought Harambe was a little funny at first, because it was poking fun at similar events like the Cecil the lion outrage, but it got old quickly.
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • Zonoro13Zonoro13 Posts: 2,462Member, Cool, Flagger, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    reeee fucking normies
    "Yahoo, I got sigged!" ~Idler | RIP Alot. 2015-2015. Was ran over by his crush in a bus. It was so freaky because it really worked." ~Luri | "In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." ~Terry Pratchett | "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett"
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,344Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Harambe's whatever I don't care, bottle flipping could have been nice and friendly but since it's only practiced by loud teenagers it's fucking atrocious, dabbing is stupid and annoying, pokemon go is dead, and damn daniel is pure metastasis though I'm happy it didn't get popular in France like dabbing or bottle flipping got.

As for the topic of memes themselves I do think there can be good memes and bad memes. An example of a good meme for me would be We Are Number One.
    The song is cool unironically, the meme isn't making fun of something nor acting like a retard, but it's actually about making up the most random shit and that's amazing. We've seen tons of really creative we are number one videos, with some actual work put into them. Also the creators of the song embraced it and encouraged the community to continue. And finally it actually helped cure cancer.

So I'd really say it depends on the meme, how it was created and what it consists of.
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
    edited February 13
    idc said:

It is an unwritten rule that dance crazes have to get stupider and stupider.

""""dance"""" crazes
    can't help but laugh at that one
  • UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,299Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I guess
    Gouchnox said:

The song is cool unironically, the meme isn't making fun of something nor acting like a retard, but it's actually about making up the most random shit and that's amazing. We've seen tons of really creative we are number one videos, with some actual work put into them. Also the creators of the song embraced it and encouraged the community to continue. And finally it actually helped cure cancer.

Well actually he had an operation pre-meme and the gofundme page is for recovery.

Well actually he had an operation pre-meme and the gofundme page is for recovery.

I know, hence why I said helped.
  • ManiklasManiklas Posts: 1,220Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Kill them with fire!
    Kill them with fire!
    Is god a cookie, or is the cookie a god?
    The world may never know
    "You have now, officially broken the game,"-Maniklas
    "Okay, ANYWAY, yes, I am a magician,"-RunninginReverse
    """"My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge" - Agubhagu
    Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
  • Frank_3everestFrank_3everest Posts: 1,428Member ✭✭✭
    OK I guess
    They are good and funny at first, but then they descend into utterly overused crap.
    You can't make a joke with my own language and expect me to get it. I'm not that smart!-@Dasbloody
    "I took things to fart"-@KhantStopButtnugget
    Pantaloons are pretty much man skirts. Even though they aren't. -@MiningcookiesVIII
    Congratules! Your reward is this paper cup. -@DoomlordKravoka

Dragon cave profile up in here- http://dragcave.net/user/Frank_Eeverest
  • PalutenaPalutena Posts: 442Member ✭✭✭✭
    Most of them are good
    Camwood7 said:

Carmory said:

Yeah, those are pretty much the only decent ones as of late, along with other ones inspired by them. (The "X but Y changes" memes and all of their variations owe their existence to GiIvasunner and I love those) They seem to be the only memes that, well, feel like actual memes.

Stuff like Damn Daniel and Harambe were stillborns and were spammed to death just to make absolutely sure there was NO humor in them.

Those videos, though, with the hypothetically infinite combinations possible with them, you can literally never grow old of them. If one base video gets old, another one can easily take its place.

Just look at what happened to The Nutshack theme, followed by We Are Number One, followed by the Bee Movie Trailer, followed briefly by The Mine Song, and currently Let It Grow from the Lorax (and a hint of Thneedville/How Bad Can I Be). You'd be hard pressed to find an end, so long as fictional works keep being made. It's a concept for a meme that, debatably, could live forever due to not being so much a meme, but more of a format for memes to follow.
    to be fair the whole x but y formula seems pretty dead now
    The full uncropped version of my profile pic is here - http://i.imgur.com/vJ4xMie.png

Glory to Cobrastan.
  • DWalkthroughGuyDWalkthroughGuy Posts: 656Member, Conversationalist ✭✭
    Kill them with fire!
    Like all living organisms, all memes are born, live and die. However, memes that aren't drowned in the main stream, if its intrinsic value is high, can be "D A N K", and be considered as such, far from the reaches of normie media.

Ree.
    Here's my YouTube Channel (I actually make videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DWalkthroughGuy
    Working towards a PhD in Dank Memeology, Normie Defense and Weeabooism.
    "Do you think God stays in heaven, because he too lives in fear of what he's created?" -Spy Kids