Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Game slows down when it's in the background

RobaatoRobaato Member Posts: 11
edited November 2016 in Help
When I run Cookie Clicker in a tab that's not the active tab, the game slows to a crawl. For example, if I click on a Golden Cookie, get a frenzy, and then switch tabs, 5-10 minutes later I click back and the frenzy is still active. Today I accidentally opened a 2nd instance of Cookie Clicker, and the cookie count was several hundred quintillion more than what was in the open tab -- even cookie production in offline mode is more than having it active in a background tab. What could be the problem here?

Comments

• JeanJean Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I believe the problem is that you are playing on a literal potato. Try upgrading to an orange for Christmas.
  • RobaatoRobaato Member Posts: 11
    If you're gonna try to be funny...at least try to be funny.
  • JeanJean Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    The logic in this one is strong
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    have you clicked the "defocus" button in the settings menu of the option tab?
    cc.JPG 56.1K

Tried it, but it doesn't seem to change anything...
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Not that I really need to defocus setting, but when I tried it there was no discernible change for me either. I suspect it may not work with every operating system.
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    maybe the fact that without the appropriate heavenly upgrade, the game halts till its reopened
    Current Status : Normal

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"-me
    "Do you ever just skLat?"-QuentinPlaysMC

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe the fact that without the appropriate heavenly upgrade, the game halts till its reopened

This was last posted on last year. Back in December.

You know when the last post on this thread was, don't you?
    You just wanted to see me suffer.
    ^^ Geez, give the guy a break. He's a new member, he doesn't know that it's a hanging offence to post in a thread that's more than a month old.
  • ShoshanaShoshana Member Posts: 6
    I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. It only started a few days ago.
    I usually have the cookie clicker open in a tab while I work in a different on and only change to it to click golden cookies. But now the game is super slow when I'm in another tab and I don't get a lot of golden cookies that way....
    Has anyone found out how to fix this?
    OP here -- I'm still getting this problem, with a new twist -- after I minimize or switch to a different tab, the cookie production ends up stopping altogether. Sometimes when I go back to the appropriate tab I see the cookie amount number and the legacy counter going up and down within a range of 1 or 2 septillion...clicking on a golden cookie or reloading the game made this stop. If I could figure out how to take an animated screenshot...

Mac OSX 10.11.6, Safari
    Are you guys 100% sure that the game "runs slow" when it's not in focus? My hypothesis is that the CpS is unaffected. The animation (which includes the counter display) may slow down when CC is not the current primary process in focus; if so, that's what is supposed to happen, to save on processor activity. It should happen if Defocus is on, and it may happen anyway depending on your particular operating system. This shouldn't affect cookie production though, because the game does not need to do its calculations every frame; it can simply calculate the current number of cookies at any time by multiplying the CpS by the time elapsed since the last calculation.

Have you tried leaving the game running for a set time in the main window, noting how many cookies were produced in that time, and then repeating the experiment with the game minimised or in a hidden tab? I'd be very surprised if the numbers did not match.
    The title in the tab row shows the number of cookies currently in the bank. It increases for a while, then just stops. Clicking back into it makes it pick up from there (or on rare occasions, you see the numbers going up and down in a cycle as per my previous post).
    I guess I'm missing something here, but I can't see why it matters if the counter behaves oddly or jumps around when the game is not in focus, provided that everything returns to the correct value when it's brought back into focus.
    That's the thing. It doesn't.
  • ShoshanaShoshana Member Posts: 6
    it really slows down, not just the animation. For example golden cookies don't appear in the same frequence.
    I used to switch to the cookie tab only when I heard a golden cookie spawning. Now that only happens maybe once every 15-20 minutes. that's not normal.