Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Is MatPat a Sellout?

MiningcookiesVIIIMiningcookiesVIII Posts: 1,860Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
This is something I've wondered for a while.
I said, STOP SUICIDING. ~Idler
Uh your so ugly I frgotz how 2 grammer ~Darkmatterfire
Why is 10 afraid of people who can't count? Because 7 8 10! ~Pighouse
You can't get into sigs if you try hard!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!!~Darkmatterfire
Post farmer, an IGM game I made. Thingk RPG, a creative forum game I made. Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.
~A. Dumbledore

Is MatPat a Sellout? 19 votes

Yes
31%
Cookiewoodstock[Deleted User]MiningcookiesVIIIArtificialCookieCarmoryTrickleJest 6 votes
No
31%
CalamityJarr2003Dont_questionFrank_3everestTheKnifer222lawlawlawl_games 6 votes
Señor T
5%
¤RunninginReverse¤ 1 vote
Other (Specify)
31%
Purge[Deleted User]GouchnoxBillaboYoukCatFlamehead 6 votes

Comments

• CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,983Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    yeah screw him for liking money
    ONE MORE GOD REJECTED
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,188
    Other (Specify)
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now, from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,475Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Specify)
    He knows how the internet and media works. So he's gonna talk about things you want him to talk about so that he gains your interest.
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • itsIndyitsIndy Posts: 231Member ✭✭✭
    >knows shit
    >isn't allowed to get paid for it
    k
    test
  • YoukCatYoukCat Posts: 1,800Member ✭✭✭
    Other (Specify)
    I do not believe he's a sell-out, but he's also not the same as he was in the past and I've stopped really watching him.
  • Jarr2003Jarr2003 Posts: 3,794Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

It's either that or he's super inept. His show about science in games derailed into economics and shitty creepypasta theories. And sans = ness.

How dare he make a fan theory about two things he loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

But seriously, yeah, the Sans = Ness theory was stupid, but it's not that big of a deal in the end.

I have no idea where you got the economics thing from. Though, tbf, economics are technically considered a form of science.
    "its like every 5 AS you require 10x more souls." -uiomancant
    Dashnet Plays NationStates: Play now! Please...
    Other (Specify)
    Jarr2003 said:

But seriously, yeah, the Sans = Ness theory was stupid, but it's not that big of a deal in the end.

Whereas the Rosalina one really matters in the grand scheme of things.
    No seriously fuck those two videos.
  • DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Posts: 3,375Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭

It's either that or he's super inept. His show about science in games derailed into economics and shitty creepypasta theories. And sans = ness.

How dare he combine sociology with mathematics and call it science!
  • CookiewoodstockCookiewoodstock Posts: 16,175Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Jarr2003 said:

How dare he make a fan theory about two things he loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

I have no idea where you got the economics thing from. Though, tbf, economics are technically considered a form of science.
    Economics was the amiibo one.
    No

Jarr2003 said:

Economics was the amiibo one.
    I fail to see how one video entirely derails a channel. Yet another example of you holding grudges over things that don't matter that much.
    edited August 2016
    Yes
    Jarr2003 said:

I fail to see how one video entirely derails a channel. Yet another example of you holding grudges over things that don't matter that much.

It's not one video. Ever since his "Mario is Mental" theory, he' been doing more and more of the creepypasta theory stuff, and heck, if memory serves me correct, ever since after his one theory about bullet bills (or maybe the one about the value of bottle caps/rupees? i forget exactly when those came out,) there hasn't been a single theory he's made that is directly related to science in video games.

Economics could be argued to be SLIGHTLY based off science, but so is math... And the economics he discusses isn't even with how it works in the universes of the games, but rather, for Nintendo as a whole. It's not even in games; it's about games, but not in games. And this is on a channel for science in games. (That, and if he really wanted to, the "how much is X game currency worth in real life?" and the measurements of how valuable the treasures of pikmin 2 really are would be very great theories IMO!)

Oh, and according to his theories, Peach is somehow both faking her kidnappings, dead, and despite being dead, has a bad relationship with Bowser. And do not get me started on Rosalina. That was just one big fucking mess, and I have 0 idea how Wario being 10 feet tall is a target for mocking, but not... whatever the hell that was.

And it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't a fan before he decided to become a generic creepypasta theory/just flat-out absurd theory not related to science/giving undertale to the pope channel, and felt the channel had a lot of potential back then. It had such a great idea of taking stuff in video games and seeing how they'd translate into the real world, like some sort of Video Game Mythbusters.

But as it is, the whole channel is one big waste of potential; rather than do any interesting content, or, y'know, put science into games, he'd rather sputter out stuff like "Sans = Ness, since, hey, Toby Fox made a ROMHack of Earthbound, did you know that guise?", or "Mario is a complete monster and you should hate him".

And it's disappointing. It's very, very disappointing.

tl;dr the channel feels like one giant waste of potential, and it has been for awhile; not just over one video, but over a dozen of them, and over the span of approximately 1-2 years.
  • TheKniferTheKnifer Posts: 2,360Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Jarr2003 said:

-rage snippet-.
    You are the biggest hipster I have ever met, and I live in portland.
    No

Jarr2003 said:

It's not one video. Ever since his "Mario is Mental" theory, he' been doing more and more of the creepypasta theory stuff, and heck, if memory serves me correct, ever since after his one theory about bullet bills (or maybe the one about the value of bottle caps/rupees? i forget exactly when those came out,) there hasn't been a single theory he's made that is directly related to science in video games.

Economics could be argued to be SLIGHTLY based off science, but so is math... And the economics he discusses isn't even with how it works in the universes of the games, but rather, for Nintendo as a whole. It's not even in games; it's about games, but not in games. And this is on a channel for science in games. (That, and if he really wanted to, the "how much is X game currency worth in real life?" and the measurements of how valuable the treasures of pikmin 2 really are would be very great theories IMO!)

Oh, and according to his theories, Peach is somehow both faking her kidnappings, dead, and despite being dead, has a bad relationship with Bowser. And do not get me started on Rosalina. That was just one big fucking mess, and I have 0 idea how Wario being 10 feet tall is a target for mocking, but not... whatever the hell that was.

And it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't a fan before he decided to become a generic creepypasta theory/just flat-out absurd theory not related to science/giving undertale to the pope channel, and felt the channel had a lot of potential back then. It had such a great idea of taking stuff in video games and seeing how they'd translate into the real world, like some sort of Video Game Mythbusters.

But as it is, the whole channel is one big waste of potential; rather than do any interesting content, or, y'know, put science into games, he'd rather sputter out stuff like "Sans = Ness, since, hey, Toby Fox made a ROMHack of Earthbound, did you know that guise?", or "Mario is a complete monster and you should hate him".

And it's disappointing. It's very, very disappointing.

tl;dr the channel feels like one giant waste of potential, and it has been for awhile; not just over one video, but over a dozen of them, and over the span of approximately 1-2 years.
    As for the beginning part, I was referring specifically to the economics part. I'm fully aware of the huge amounts of creepypasta-esq videos he's made.

Anyways, the problem with your entire argument is that you've had very specific expectations for game theory. You're primary expectations appeared to be primarily science, which I don't think was ever the *only* idea of game theory. In reality, full on science videos were always the minority, as game theory, especially in the beginning, was more about analyzing the inspiration for games or comparing fictional video game concepts to real life examples. I'm pretty sure game theory was always more about just over-analyzing games rather than focusing on a particular subject, like science, economics, etc.

As for the bullet bill part, no, there has been plenty of science videos since the bullet bill one, like the video where MatPat theorized what creepers are or the Call of Duty regen theory. Furthermore, if you count psychology as science, which it is, then videos as new as the pokemon go theories are science related.

As for the Sans = Ness-esq theories, the thing is is that I doubt MatPat intends for anyone to take those videos truly seriously. I doubt he would contradict himself so much if he did take those seriously. I think they're more "what if" scenarios than actual "Yes, Mario is 100% gauranteed to be a psychopath." They're purely entertainment, or at the very least food for thought. Does he actually think Mario is a psychopath that everybody should hate? I doubt it. Does that mean he can't take evidence from the games and form a theory around that? Of course not. There's a reason why at the end of literally every video he says "It's just a theory." Because he intends for people to take these theories with a grain of salt. Not for them to 100% believe him without question. Especially the Rosalina theory. That one was pretty bad.

As for the "video game mythbusters" thing, isn't that the point of his game lab thing?

BTW, the whole "Wario is 10ft tall" came from a theory about Wario, where he used some way of measuring the pixels or somehhing to predict how tall Wario is. Long story short, that got a lot of backlash from the community due to how inherently ridiculous it is to say Wario is 10ft tall. To put that into perspective, the current tallest man on the planet is 8ft tall. It was just a funny mistake on MatPat's part, nothing more.

Tl;dr CWS is mad that Game Theory isn't exactly how he wanted it to be like. [Insert Kappa here]
    edited August 2016
    Other (Specify)

To me, the apex of his "let's try to """"""make sense"""""" out of a franchise that doesn't" theory is the one with the mario timeline. Like, it's video games. Mario isn't serious. Nobody gives a fuck about a timeline in mario games, not even Nintendo themselves, because it's mindless entertainment. You can't possibly tell me he "analyzed" all mario games, set them into a complex timeline, ending up by saying that there's 5 marios or something, that one is dead, another is spanish and a third is a fucking toucan or some shit and took himself seriously.
    Yes
    Gouchnox said:

To me, the apex of his "let's try to """"""make sense"""""" out of a franchise that doesn't" theory is the one with the mario timeline. Like, it's video games. Mario isn't serious. Nobody gives a fuck about a timeline in mario games, not even Nintendo themselves, because it's mindless entertainment. You can't possibly tell me he "analyzed" all mario games, set them into a complex timeline, ending up by saying that there's 5 marios or something, that one is dead, another is spanish and a third is a fucking toucan or some shit and took himself seriously.
    But hey, it's just a theory! IT'S JUST A THEORY, BRO, DON'T BE SO MAD!!
    Other (Specify)
    To me, one of the biggest let downs of this new MatPat formula is that it's 80% silly jokes and 20% actual content. Like, theory, science and stuff. Seriously, when watching a MatPat video now, you can skip to the 5 minute mark and miss nothing of value. He's mostly using that to cover up the fact that he doesn't do as much research on his videos now (simply because he outputs much more videos), and so he has to buy up some run time. Honestly the biggest work that goes into these videos is provided by his team of animators and editors. Seriously, props to these guys, they are doing a really good job.