Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Should the forum be kept on Vanilla?

KappyKappy Posts: 272Member ✭✭
edited August 2016 in Suggestions & Bug Reports
Everyone knows Vanilla sucks. I personally think phpBB is the best forum software, but what do you guys think?
Please click here to help my dragons grow:Adopt one today!Adopt one today!

Should the forum be kept on Vanilla? 19 votes

Keep it on Vanilla!
42%
Cookiewoodstock[Deleted User]DarkmatterfireExplodingCamelVoidacid8000CarmoryBrainstormBreadstick 8 votes
phpBB
10%
YoukCatKappy 2 votes
IP.Board
0%
vBulletin
0%
ZetaBoards
10%
ViniThatOneMan 2 votes
Other
36%
¤RunninginReverse¤Jarr2003DoomlordKravokaArtificialCookieChisako222lawlawlawl_gamesIdleNet 7 votes

Comments

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 13,349Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Other
    I find MyBB a decent site.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,038Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    Other
    vanilla is the best for forums in my experience so far.
    I sure would like to have something more reliable but i don't know better things.

vBulletin and phpBB f.e. are shit to manage (aka it sucks for mods and admins)
    IP.Board and ZetaBoards - never heard of, so it's hard to believe they are any better.
    "You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
    Other
    Chisako said:

vanilla is the best for forums ...

You're kidding, right? Vanilla is the worst forum hosting service I've been on so far. Freakin' FREEFORUMS has less bugs. With this, layouts break, at least twice a year. I've had better experiences, forum structure-wise, with the various free forum websites, than I have with paid service Vanilla.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
  • PalutenaPalutena Posts: 442Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chocolate is better
    The full uncropped version of my profile pic is here - http://i.imgur.com/vJ4xMie.png

Glory to Cobrastan.
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 7,330Member ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it on Vanilla!

Chisako said:

You're kidding, right? Vanilla is the worst forum hosting service I've been on so far. Freakin' FREEFORUMS has less bugs. With this, layouts break, at least twice a year. I've had better experiences, forum structure-wise, with the various free forum websites, than I have with paid service Vanilla.
    Twice a YEAR?

This guy needs some snickers.
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm
    "You, young man, have increased the troll count by 1, troll thread count by 1, and countless other count counter counts by 1." -Brainstorm
    "We now have a perfect excuse to necrobump forum games." -Brainstorm
    I wonder what this is! Only the most epic link EVER! :o
    Pastebin statpage for Dungeon Maker: http://pastebin.com/mdPqPQVv
  • CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,822Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it on Vanilla!
    I'm pretty used to vanilla by now, I'd rather we keep it
    check out my wiener role its so attractive
    Other
    Carmory said:

You'd rather we keep a buggy, low-quality forum hosting service?
    ...You're gonna have a bad time.
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
  • KappyKappy Posts: 272Member ✭✭
    phpBB
    Chisako said:

I sure would like to have something more reliable but i don't know better things.

vBulletin and phpBB f.e. are shit to manage (aka it sucks for mods and admins)
    IP.Board and ZetaBoards - never heard of, so it's hard to believe they are any better.

IP.Board is decent. ZetaBoards, not so much.

I was an admin on a phpBB forum I created once, but we had 5 users and 3 of them were me trying to make the board look active so I got rid of it. It worked like a charm, though. What is your problem with phpBB
  • ExplodingCamelExplodingCamel Posts: 7,477Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it on Vanilla!

Chisako said:

Yeah but they're ugly af
  • KappyKappy Posts: 272Member ✭✭
    phpBB

Chisako said:

Yeah but they're ugly af
    phpBB has many themes you can choose from, or make your own layout. The software itself is free, and you can host it for free at www.prophpbb.com. The one problem with ProphpBB is that you can't add custom PHP code. However, I don't think server hosting cost is what DashNet is worried about.
  • CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,822Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it on Vanilla!

Carmory said:

You'd rather we keep a buggy, low-quality forum hosting service?
    ...You're gonna have a bad time.
    im not saying its good, im just saying im used to it
    check out my wiener role its so attractive
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,038Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    Other

Chisako said:

You're kidding, right? [...] Freakin' FREEFORUMS has less bugs. With this, layouts break, at least twice a year. I've had better experiences, forum structure-wise, with the various free forum websites[...]
    please quote the whole sentence here
    Chisako said:

this is an opinion, not a fact or anything, so no, i'm not kidding.
    the only other forum that i actually liked was a HEAVY customized phpBoard but moderating it was hell since it used to work with User IDs instead of IPs and mods couldn't even see emails (that was admin level stuff at the core). so it was quite hard to get rid of spammers and trolls since they just came back with another account and no options to prevent that.
    (note: that was like 8 years ago, MAYBE it's not that bad anymore, but that's why i said "experience")

let me ask you... does a free forum provide any service?
    f.e. if you want to customize something?
    does it come with spam filters?
    no, you have to take care of all these things yourself.
    which means a) a fuck ton of work b) the required knowledge to do said work and c) a reason to work your ass off in the first place

let me ask you another thing... what's different in our forum structure? if you go to the "home" page (aka just forum.dashnet.org) you see the same structure you have on most boards/forums just without the ugly boxes around the single entries.
    and layout breaks can happen for various reasons. it can be caused by your local cache after something got updated, it could be a connection timeout causing the page to load in an unexpected way (this can happen on both ends, server and/or your pc)

help me to understand what's better on a certain forum, because what you said is not clear to me at this point.
    "You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
  • ViniVini Posts: 2,038Member ✭✭✭✭
    ZetaBoards
    Out of those, ZetaBoards is the only one I've heard of, and way I saw it, it had a very professional look to it.
    I don't know how easy it is to moderate, but given the mods-to-users ratio on most forums I visited, it can't be any harder than Vanilla's.

What I'd be most worried about is how would the transition from one to another work. My uneducated guess is that losing data isn't at all hard when doing stuff like this.

• Jarr2003Jarr2003 Posts: 3,445Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don't know much about forum hosts. I just know that Vanilla is shit.
    "its like every 5 AS you require 10x more souls." -uiomancant
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Dashnet Plays NationStates: Play now! Please...
  • DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Posts: 3,415Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Keep it on Vanilla software, but move it to a server that doesn't charge you for modifying the source code.