Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Why do some people consider automation cheating?

moosernamemoosername Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
Why do some people consider automation cheating? It's just automatically performing a task that you would normally have to constantly be doing.

Comments

• BillaboBillabo Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭
    Because it's performing a task for you instead of you doing it yourself. You don't "have to constantly" click the cookie; that's why there are things like the Golden Switch and offline production, so you can do active playing for the best CPS, but still get some production while idling. With an auto-clicker, you get the "active" cps all the time.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    How could it not be cheating? If you were in a marathon foot race and hitched a ride on a motor vehicle to quickly get in front of the rest of the pack (this actually happened in one Olympics), that's cheating because instead of running you are getting a machine to do the work for you. Same thing here.
  • moosernamemoosername Member Posts: 58 ✭✭

How could it not be cheating? If you were in a marathon foot race and hitched a ride on a motor vehicle to quickly get in front of the rest of the pack (this actually happened in one Olympics), that's cheating because instead of running you are getting a machine to do the work for you. Same thing here.

But a lot of people like me do it for an advantage in the game.
  • BillaboBillabo Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly...
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheating is having an unfair advantage over another person. Having an autoclicker is an advantage, and not everyone has one, thus its unfair.

However, for a singleplayer game it doesn't matter that much, but is still cheating.

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    the thing is, whenever anyone asks "Is XXXXX cheating?", the answer is usually yes, otherwise they would not have asked.
  • NeoSpearBladeNeoSpearBlade Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Well, you're certainly posting frequently, moosername.

Why do some people consider automation cheating? It's just automatically performing a task that you would normally have to constantly be doing.

Let me put it this way. It's like using an autopilot cheat in a racing game; you're supposed to be doing it yourself but you're using a computer to do it for you.

In a single-player game, only the player is experiencing the game (unless the player does an LP of it) so it doesn't matter that much as it's the player's choice to cheat or not.

This is what I like about video games, I can play them how I want. I'll respect the developer(s) by playing it as intended but at some point, I'm gonna start screwing around.