Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

The Non-Cheaters Thread

Comments

• ZimmermannZimmermann Posts: 1Member
    Finally got 256/257 and 50 million prestige.
    Bob, you should definitely go for it. With method similar to this
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CookieClicker/comments/4994zs/going_for_1001000_ascensions_heres_my_guide/
    it took me 7 hours today starting from 18 ascensions.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 788Member ✭✭✭
    I think my dummy runs used more or less the same strategy as described, as it's pretty instinctive. I admit I didn't think of the strategy of getting almost to the second HC before restarting.

I'll see how I go. The point is, the first few might be fun, but I don't know if doing it 80 times will still be fun.
    edited April 2017
    I decided to go for the 100 ascensions. It's not as bad as I anticipated. I got up to 50-something last night, then paused the game so I could get some sleep. I think the trick is to keep some sort of life balance - keep going until you've had enough, then when you feel you need a break or you have other things that need doing just pause it and resume later.

Buildings and upgrades can be bought so fast, especially at the very beginning of the run, that it's pointless taking time planning which is the best next building, best next upgrade, etc. The planning would take far longer than the few seconds you might save. I have developed a routine which I think I can describe in simpler terms than the person who posted their strategy on Reddit:

1. Turn on Christmas season.
    2. Buy all available upgrades.
    3. Set buying batch size to 100 and go down the list buying 100 of every building.
    4. Get Radiant Appetite.
    5. Run back up the list and buy back 100 of everything.
    6. Buy all upgrades that are now available. There will be a shitload; it's just a matter of clicking about a hundred times.
    7. Get the Dragon Cookie and the Santa upgrades.
    8. Set batch size to 10; buy as many prisms as possible then go up the list buying about 10 more of each building than the one below. No need for precision here. After that, it's just a matter of alternating between buying any available upgrades and buying buildings, buying the same number of each building each time through.

At this point you can probably relax a bit, flex your aching fingers and watch the slider bar move towards the end. I find that towards the finish I have about 180 prisms. At some point it's probably worth switching to Valentine's Day to get those easy Valentine cookies, then back to Christmas once you have those. i wouldn't bother with any of the other seasons.
    Post edited by bob_32_116 on

Just got my second shiny wrinkler, after 4451 hours' playing time!

IKR? I got excited when it only took 6600 hours to get my third

What does IKR stand for?

I just got my third shiny, at 5045 hours.

• NavyDan1NavyDan1 Posts: 58Member ✭✭
    "I Know, Right?"
  • BeauBeau Posts: 1Member
    So my students tried to tell me they got infinity cookies in 2 days. I then found out you have to hack the game to do so, and that there is an achievement to do so. I of course needed to prove them wrong and started playing this game without using that cheat... 20,996 hours ago, I have 149 ascensions, 164.737 decillion (all time) and 12,104 golden cookies.
    No cheats!!!!
    ^^ It's useless trying to explain to someone who cheats the game, why you choose NOT to cheat. They just don't get the concept of "game".
  • Kirby711Kirby711 Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    Right... Is using mouse keys (alt-shift-numlock) cheating?
    Kirby711 said:

Right... Is using mouse keys (alt-shift-numlock) cheating?

I suppose not... but why would you? What advantage does that give you?
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,312Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Mod

I suppose not... but why would you? What advantage does that give you?

If you hold down the click and un-click buttons, it will click rapidly, fast enough to give the Uncanny Clicker achievement. That allows you to just hold down two keys to get a pretty big boost in production. It's a huge advantage especially during a Click Frenzy. I would say it is cheating.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    ^^ Hmmm, that's an interesting question, whether it's cheating to use a facility that's built into the O/S like that. "Mouse keys" are provided for users who don't have a mouse or who don't uses it for whatever reason eg. avoidance of carpal tunnel syndrome.

You know what I have decided: if you do something in CC and think "Am I cheating?", then the answer is probably yes.

For example some time ago I read instructions in the Wiki on how to get a particular achievement. I forget which one, but it involved changing the bakery name. When I did so, a red menu appeared above the big cookie that made it obvious that this was something people use for hacking into the innards of the game. The only way I could find to get rid of it was to reset. Apart from not wanting to cheat, I was worried about clicking something in that menu accidentally that would break the game.
  • JezDavisJezDavis Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭

^^For example some time ago I read instructions in the Wiki on how to get a particular achievement. I forget which one, but it involved changing the bakery name. When I did so, a red menu appeared above the big cookie that made it obvious that this was something people use for hacking into the innards of the game. The only way I could find to get rid of it was to reset. Apart from not wanting to cheat, I was worried about clicking something in that menu accidentally that would break the game.

Interesting. I've obviously changed the bakery name because you need to to get that particular achievement, but I've never seen the red menu you describe.
    Just hit 100dec again. This time it took 1,079 hours - almost 200 fewer than last time. I think the majority of the reduction has come from the 8% increase in milk so I imagine future reductions won't be as significant. Consequently I think I'll hang on this run until I hit ten million or so extra prestige - perhaps 2,000h total - as I think that should offer a decent increase for the next incarnation.

(As you can see, I'm also playing the rather daft game of 'buy until the next of everything costs at least 1dec'. No reason other than to keep me vaguely interested in the game's progress at this ultra-late stage.)

@Jez: What do you mean you "just hit 100 dec again"? Is this the second time you've played the game from scratch?
    No, I mean it's the second incarnation where I've hit 100dec. Obviously, if I just stick at it until I get the final Undecillion achievement I'll have to log something like 10,000 hours at present CPS. So I'm using the 100dec as a reference point and playing until I hit it fast enough to make the Undecillion worth going for without the fear of dying of boredom. I reckon when I can hit 100dec in perhaps 200-250h it might be time to go for the big one.
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,312Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Mod
    Jez said:

^^For example some time ago I read instructions in the Wiki on how to get a particular achievement. I forget which one, but it involved changing the bakery name. When I did so, a red menu appeared above the big cookie that made it obvious that this was something people use for hacking into the innards of the game. The only way I could find to get rid of it was to reset. Apart from not wanting to cheat, I was worried about clicking something in that menu accidentally that would break the game.

Interesting. I've obviously changed the bakery name because you need to to get that particular achievement, but I've never seen the red menu you describe.
    I think he's referring to the debug menu, which you open by adding "saysopensesame" to the end of your bakery name.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    edited April 2017
    Billabo said:

I think he's referring to the debug menu, which you open by adding "saysopensesame" to the end of your bakery name.

Yes that's the one. I just brought it up again to resfresh my memory - it's green, not red, with just a couple of items in red. I decided it was best left alone.
    I just brought it up to get the 'Cheated cookies taste awful' shadow achievement. 258/259 now. I'm assuming Speed baking III is the final one.

BTW, I just noticed the Debug upgrades (seemingly accessible from the Dev tools menu). I'll try not to tinker with these otherwise I'll presumably be ineligible to comment here any more. ;-)
    Got bored and ascended. Prestige increase had slowed noticeably so thought I'd sneak a cheeky one in. Screenshot is last incarnation's moment of peak production, before selling everything and cashing in the chocolate egg.

edited May 2017
    Oh. I just read the Wiki section of chocolate egg, and i finally realise what all you people are talking about with "selling all buildings and cashing in chocolate egg."

I guess I need a new field in my spreadsheet.
    Post edited by bob_32_116 on
  • Stret1311Stret1311 Posts: 18Member ✭✭
    I only cheated in 10 cookies so i could get the achievment so uh i think im not a cheater.

Stret1311 said:

I only cheated in 10 cookies so i could get the achievment so uh i think im not a cheater.

I think with only 10 cookies we can let you off the hook. :) But actually I don't think you need to "cheat in" any cookies at all to get the achievement. I got it simply by using the opensesame trick to open the menu.

edited May 2017

Stret1311 said:

I think with only 10 cookies we can let you off the hook. :) But actually I don't think you need to "cheat in" any cookies at all to get the achievement. I got it simply by using the opensesame trick to open the menu.

I would seriously call somebody a cheater if she used these cheats to do something that really gave then an unfair advantage in game like spawning golden cookies and not someone that cheated in 10 cookies while he had almost 1 billion CPS just because he liked the badge and wanted it.

^^

a red menu appeared above the big cookie that made it obvious that this was something people use for hacking into the innards of the game. The only way I could find to get rid of it was to reset. Apart from not wanting to cheat, I was worried about clicking something in that menu accidentally that would break the game.

Im pretty sure that is the debug tab that can be opened by putting '' saysopensesame '' at the end of your current bakery name, that can also be accessed by putting a common on the console. AKA the sesame code. And also, reseting it is not the only way to get rid of it lol. Its by first, changing your name and removing '' saysopensesame '', and then refreshing the page.

Also, im sure there is pretty much no achievment that can only be obtained by managing to do that. It gives you the Cheated Cookies Taste Awful achievment. But that can be obtained many other ways ( EX : Cheating in cookies, like i did cheat in 10 for that badge ) and that doesnt really matters much as it is a shadow achievment.

Stret1311 said:

And also, reseting it is not the only way to get rid of it lol. Its by first, changing your name and removing '' saysopensesame '', and then refreshing the page.

"Resetting", "refreshing": same thing surely? Anyway, that's what I am talking about; I changed the name back to my original name, then refreshed the page which reloads the game.
    Stret1311 said:

Also, im sure there is pretty much no achievment that can only be obtained by managing to do that. It gives you the Cheated Cookies Taste Awful achievment. But that can be obtained many other ways ( EX : Cheating in cookies, like i did cheat in 10 for that badge ) and that doesnt really matters much as it is a shadow achievment.

Yes but the Tastes Awful achievement was the reason I did it, and only because there was a hint on the Wiki that said this was one easy way. I'm not interested in any other kind of cheating, so I have attempted to use this key sequence that supposedly unlocks the innards of the game code for cheating.

• sky_shrimpsky_shrimp Posts: 58Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I just got an elder with a frenzy with righteous cataclysm which gave me 10 decillion in a few seconds. Nice!
  • FourIsTheNumberFourIsTheNumber Posts: 2Member
    edited May 2017
    I think I have the final response to the "is ____ cheating?" question: Who the fuck cares?

This is a singleplayer idle game. Why should anyone give a fifth of a fuck if you cheated in ten cookies or use an efficiency add-on or even an autoclicker? I use the cookie monster add-on. To me, it makes the game more fun. I enjoy it more. Why does that matter to anyone except me? And in response to the old comment about how it's like playing chess by having a grandmaster tell you the moves - no, because this isn't chess. It's a silly idle game in your browser. They're not even similar, for so many reasons. For one, cookie clicker is solvable. It is possible to assertain the absolute best path, whether with a program or a small amount of work on a calculator. Chess, as of yet, is not.

This is such an unimaginably stupid argument. It is impossible to cheat in a single player game. Period. End of sentence.
    ^^ Don't get your knickers in a twist.

I really don't care whether anyone uses an autoclicker or add-on or a hack or not - as long as they are not then going ahead and gloating to others about how many cookies they have made in a short time. That, I presume, is why someone started this thread, "The Non-Cheaters Thread".

• FourIsTheNumberFourIsTheNumber Posts: 2Member

^^ Don't get your knickers in a twist.

I really don't care whether anyone uses an autoclicker or add-on or a hack or not - as long as they are not then going ahead and gloating to others about how many cookies they have made in a short time. That, I presume, is why someone started this thread, "The Non-Cheaters Thread".

I was talking to the people arguing about it. Which there is a sizable amount of in this thread.

I was talking to the people arguing about it. Which there is a sizable amount of in this thread.

Well, I agree. Given the title of the thread I'd rather not have the constant questions "Is this cheating?", "Is that cheating?" Still, people keep asking, and so some of us feel compelled to respond.

Incidentally I have nothing against the number Four, but what is so special about it? The Chinese don't like the number 4 at all, they consider it very bad luck.