Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Dashnet Plays NationStates

Jarr2003Jarr2003 Posts: 3,425Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Playground
For those who don't know, NationStates is basically a "build your own nation" simulator. You start a nation, then occasionally answer issues people have. And since several Dashnetters have been playing it recently, it's only natural that we make a nation run by Dashnet.

Mechanically, this will run similarly to Dashnet Plays XCOM, with Dashnetters voting on our next action. But, with how NationStates works, this will naturally have more interaction, with things like naming our capital city and our political leader.

The Nation: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dashnet

Name: Dashnet

Classification: Dominion

History: Long-suffering but still optimistic pilgrims

Government: Anarchic

Currency: Cookies

National Animal: Faster Menner

Motto: "cheesecake because tasty"

Now that the creation part is done, someone needs to make a flag! The one people like the most will be chosen, and officially made the flag of Dashnet. While I'm not sure what the rules are exactly as to what can be a flag and what can't, I recommend that you make sure it's flag shaped. :P

BTW, since people keep asking what the password to the Dashnet Region is, it's smellySocks. Don't complain about how "stupid it is" or anything. Just don't.
"its like every 5 AS you require 10x more souls." -uiomancant
My Pokefarm Q Account
Dashnet Plays NationStates: Play now! Please...
Post edited by Jarr2003 on

Comments

• DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Posts: 3,415Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭

Government: Anarchy

History: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/11605/the-history-of-dashnet-a-history-textbook-by-doomlord-kravoka

National Animal: Eldeer

Motto: "We collectively have a magnificent PAINIS!"
  • Jarr2003Jarr2003 Posts: 3,425Member ✭✭✭✭✭

History: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/11605/the-history-of-dashnet-a-history-textbook-by-doomlord-kravoka

You can't write your own history. That's why I linked the nation creator screen, so it shows the options for things like that.
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Jarr2003 said:

You can't write your own history. That's why I linked the nation creator screen, so it shows the options for things like that.
    Okay, then it obviously should be "Long suffering but still optimistic pilgrims".
  • lordmuffinlordmuffin Posts: 796Member ✭✭✭
    tbh I think the political leader should be Orteil
    WH4T SM3LLS L1KE BODY BUTTER 4ND D3SP3R4T1ON?
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
    Okay, if not all the starting options are picked, I'll go with the defaults besides the ones DLK suggested.
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Also classification should be Dominion.
    Bump
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • KarlolinKarlolin Posts: 3,924Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q1. Agree
    In my dream.

I'm the Karlolin.

It's me.
    !rip Dashnet Plays NationStates
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • KarlolinKarlolin Posts: 3,924Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh.
    Q2. Strongly Agree
    Q3. Strongly Agree
    Q4. Agree
    Q5. Disagree
    Q6. Strongly Disagree
    Q7. Strongly Disagree
    Q8. Disagree
    In my dream.

I'm the Karlolin.

It's me.
  • 222lawlawlawl_games222lawlawlawl_games Posts: 294Member ✭✭
    Q1. Strongly Agree
    Q2. Strongly Agree
    Q3. Strongly Disagree
    Q4. Disagree
    Q5. Strongly Disagree
    Q6. Disagree
    Q7. Strongly Agree
    Q8. Disagree
    edited March 2016
    Finally reviving this. These are the answers to the questions:

And the Nation is now made!

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dashnet

And this is the starting description:

"The Dominion of Dashnet is a fledgling, socially progressive nation, notable for its burgeoning Faster Menner population. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, devout population of 5 million Dashnetians hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.

The relatively small, liberal, outspoken government prioritizes Welfare, although Education, Spirituality, and Healthcare are also considered important. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 16.6%.

The strong Dashnetian economy, worth 305 billion Cookies a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Woodchip Exports industry, with major contributions from Gambling, Tourism, and Beef-Based Agriculture. Average income is 61,019 Cookies, with the richest citizens earning 7.5 times as much as the poorest.

Crime is moderate, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Dashnet's national animal is the Faster Menner, which can occasionally be seen sifting through garbage in the nation's cities."

Now that the creation part is done, it's time to actually start running the nation. First off, our first issue:

Cannibals Demand To Taste What Dashnet Has To Offer

The Issue

A coalition of tribalists, health experts, and civil rights proponents have recently suggested legalizing cannibalism for consumers of willing would-be meals.

The Debate

"I see absolutely no problem with people digging into each other at dinnertime, so long as everyone is willing," Charles Rikkard, the editor of the monthly magazine 'To Serve Man', quips, "Not only does it solve hunger problems and create jobs, but it also adds variety to Dashnet's sometimes dull palate."

Civil rights leader Rosalia Longfellow came out publicly for moderate pro-cannibalism legislation, commenting, "While it may strike some as a crude, even evil practice, our ancestors have practiced cannibalism for years. If we create a government organization to strictly regulate and grade all human meat prior to its arrival on the market, we can ensure that respect for diversity is maintained while health concerns are also allayed. And instead of killing average people, why not make being turned into snack foods a post-mortem option? Like donating your body to science!"

"You're all absolutely out of your minds!" exclaims Ali Goethe, head of Dashnet's largest health-food manufacturer. "It's immoral, it's unhealthy, and it's disgusting. Not only are these so-called 'dietary rights' activists leading us down a dark path of sin, but right into a marketplace with yet another product that's almost as bad as beef!"

But, that's not our only priority. We also need someone to make us a flag. The one people like the most will be chosen, and officially made the flag of Dashnet. While I'm not sure what the rules are exactly as to what can be a flag and what can't, I recommend that you make sure it's flag shaped. :P
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    edited March 2016
    The voted option was option 2, which led to this:
    "Following new legislation in Dashnet, soylent products are an expensive commodity due to a lack of volunteers."

But now for the next issue:

"Police Consider "Big Brother" Anti-Crime System"

The Issue

The Police department is considering installing surveillance cameras in all major public areas, in an effort to crack down on crime.

The Debate

"This is a blatant invasion of the right to privacy!" says libertarian web site operator Fleur Yeats. "Now I can't even go out in public any more without being watched? And you know this is just the beginning. Today there are cameras in city streets. Tomorrow they're peering through your bedroom window."

"Hey, I've got news for you," says Police media liaison Klaus Dimitrov. "When you're out in public, PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU. These cameras will be extremely helpful in reducing the national crime rate. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about."

"This 'slippery slope' argument has got me thinking," says Police Minister Margaret Faster. "You know, it would be a lot easier to fight crime if we watched people all the time. Not with cameras, of course. That's clearly an invasion of privacy. But how about a national database of our citizens, coupled with compulsory ID cards and barcoding? It would stop crime dead in its tracks."

Edit: We chose option three, which led to this:

Citizens are barcoded to keep track of their movements.

Reclassification

Dashnet was reclassified from a Civil Rights Lovefest to an Inoffensive Centrist Democracy.

Dashnet's Civil Rights fell from Excessive to Below Average.

Dashnet's Political Freedoms fell from Superb to Some.

Now for the next issue:

Cancer Sufferer Demands Euthanasia Bill

The Issue

Dorothy Terwilliger lies immobilized in a hospital bed, unable to move. She has end-stage cancer, and wishes to end her struggle against death. However, laws prevent her doctors from obeying her wishes.

The Debate

Dorothy and her family are campaigning for a "Dying with Dignity" bill, to change this situation. She implores the government to legalize euthanasia.

"I understand this is a very difficult time for these people," says freelance medical writer Sean Steele. "But the solution is not to let our medical system slide down the slippery slope of killing people in pain. We must cure, not kill. This is not the right time for euthanasia."

"I agree, but go further: there is never a right time for euthanasia," says Bishop Clint Han. "The lives we lead are given to us by the grace of God, and he decides when they end. It is not for us to question God's divine purpose, no matter how odd or screwed-up it may seem."
    Post edited by Jarr2003 on
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Jarr2003 said:

Now for the next issue:

Cancer Sufferer Demands Euthanasia Bill

The Issue

Dorothy Terwilliger lies immobilized in a hospital bed, unable to move. She has end-stage cancer, and wishes to end her struggle against death. However, laws prevent her doctors from obeying her wishes.

The Debate

Dorothy and her family are campaigning for a "Dying with Dignity" bill, to change this situation. She implores the government to legalize euthanasia.

"I understand this is a very difficult time for these people," says freelance medical writer Sean Steele. "But the solution is not to let our medical system slide down the slippery slope of killing people in pain. We must cure, not kill. This is not the right time for euthanasia."

"I agree, but go further: there is never a right time for euthanasia," says Bishop Clint Han. "The lives we lead are given to us by the grace of God, and he decides when they end. It is not for us to question God's divine purpose, no matter how odd or screwed-up it may seem."

Because nobody voted, I just picked the middle option, which led to this:

"Euthanasia is illegal."

Reclassification

Dashnet's Civil Rights fell from Below Average to Some.

Now for the next issue:

"Should Democracy Be Compulsory?"

The Issue

In response to a slow news week, certain highbrow newspapers have stirred up the debate over voluntary vs compulsory voting.

The Debate

"Compulsory voting makes about as much sense as having the death penalty for attempted suicide," says civil rights activist Colleen Usman. "You can't force people to be free! You can only give them the choice. Besides, if all those derelicts who can't be bothered to get off their butts once every few years voted, who would they elect? I shudder to think."

"It's not contradictory at all," argues political commentator Sue-Ann Strange. "The fact is, if not everyone votes, the outcome isn't truly representative. Some groups--like elderly gun nuts--vote more often than others. That's why we always end up with such terrible politicians."

"This raises an interesting issue," says Ryan Christmas, your brother. "And that is: why do we need elections, anyway? Seems to me it would be much simpler if you just decided what was right, and did it. Wouldn't that save everyone a lot of time?"
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 13,257Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭

First option.

"My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
    Personally I'm all for keeping DIMSHAF as anarchic as morally possible.
    We picked option 1, which led to this outcome:

Voting is voluntary.

Reclassification

Dashnet's Political Freedoms rose from Some to Average.

Next issue:

Recently, there has been increased commotion from your citizens about the possible health risks caused by using mobile phones.

The Debate

"Have you seen these statistics?!" yells anti-mobile lobbyist Gertie True, gesturing towards a wiggly line on a clipboard. "Mobile phones now kill more people in this country than exploding cupboards, the ironing board, and Godzilla put together! And that's not including the number of people who die every year from car crashes caused by chit-chat while driving! These things fry your brain with microwaves while you speak! We must ban mobile phones now!"

"This is utter nonsense," argues Lucas Jefferson, CEO of Amber Phones, while nonchalantly slipping a wad of Cookies into your pocket. "Mobile phones are totally harmless - I'll have you know that not one of our privately-funded studies has found the slightest bit of evidence to the contrary! Have you ever seen anyone drop dead in the street just because they were chatting on one of our new M/A models for sale now at low, low prices? No! It's just blatant scaremongering! I implore the government to dismiss these crackpots' complaints."

"I don't believe they're harmful either," says Randy Gutenberg, a teacher. "But it's obvious to everyone what a detrimental effect it has on our children! Everywhere I look, I'm seeing children as young as four tapping away at the blasted things! Do you know how many lessons I've had interrupted by the 'Crazy Faster Menner' ringtone? Do you know how many of my pupils think 'great' is spelled with a number? Too many! Only adults should be allowed to own and use mobile phones!"
    My Pokefarm Q Account
  • lordmuffinlordmuffin Posts: 796Member ✭✭✭
    option 2
    WH4T SM3LLS L1KE BODY BUTTER 4ND D3SP3R4T1ON?
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
    We chose option 2, which led to this outcome:

Mobile phone masts are being erected all over the country.

Reclassification

Dashnet was reclassified from an Inoffensive Centrist Democracy to a Capitalist Paradise.

The Dashnet Economy rose from Strong to Very Strong.

Next issue:

Democracy Going To The Dogs?

The Issue

After a recent election installed a small dog as a member of parliament, the fringe group "Brains for Ballots" has demanded for the government to tighten voting restrictions.

The Debate

"The ignorant have taken over Dashnet," yells Akira Khan, from atop a soap box podium. "It is time that the intelligent retake the polls! Mr. 'Scruffy' is a disgrace to democracy and should be taken out of office instantly! I propose we issue mandatory I.Q. tests for every voting citizen and if they are found to have below average reasoning ability - namely lacking the foresight to see that electing an inanimate object to office will cause disaster - then they shall be excused from the responsibility of voting."

"Umm... huh?" inquires village idiot, Jessica Cheswick. "I voted? When? Oh, yeah. Please don't make me not vote. The ballots are really tasty, and where else would I get my fibre? Everyone should have the right to vote, no matter what their favourite greenhouse is! Then we can all get the government to do what we want! First thing I think we should do is, uh, ban fruit? I hate fruit."
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Option 1.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    Gouchnox said:

IQ is nuclear dogshit.

Option 2.
    edited March 2016
    We chose option 1. This was the result:

Only fully-fledged members of MENSA are allowed to vote.

Reclassification

Dashnet's Political Freedoms fell from Average to Some.

Next issue:

An Archaeological Altercation

The Issue

During the construction of a new Hyper-Mega-Ultra-Super Mall, construction workers have unearthed what appears to be an ancient temple. A furious debate has arisen between those who wish to preserve it, and those who need their retail therapy.

The Debate

"This is the perfect opportunity to learn more of our nation's history!" says Professor Max Ruff, head of the archaeological department of the Dashnet History Museum. "All building work must be halted immediately so that my team can study this remarkable piece of our nation's past. To bury these ruins under some concrete eyesore would be criminal!"

"It's all very nice to get to know some more about our past," argues foreman Kathleen Dodinas. "But that's just the thing! It's the past! We must think of the future. If you allow those decrepit fossils to take over this place, you put at risk the future of our economy! Today it's archaeological digs, tomorrow it's 'preservation of the environment'. Just let me bulldoze the worthless pile of rubble and bury it under a few hundred tonnes of concrete."

"Behold, the hour has arrived! The Holy Temple of Firefury Amahira has been unearthed!" proclaims Yon-Zhauryg v'Klot, leader of the Cult of the Undead Faster Menner. "This land is sacred, and must not be befouled by these corporations! No-one but the enlightened children of Firefury must be allowed to venture inside our rediscovered sanctuary, where we will perform the required rituals to please the Great Goddess and prevent Her from unleashing Her wrath upon the world."
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    Option one would be nice.
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    We picked option 1, which led to this outcme:

Prime commercial land is being swamped with archaeological teams.

Reclassification

Dashnet was reclassified from a Capitalist Paradise to an Inoffensive Centrist Democracy.

The Dashnet Economy fell from Very Strong to Strong.

Next issue:

Arms Industry Demands Respect

The Issue

Representatives of Dashnet's arms manufacturing industry have expressed outrage over the lack of public and private support for their sector.

The Debate

Interviewed by the industry's trade journal 'Our Weapons, Your Victory', the CEO of Dashnet Arms Inc, Ali Tasty, said: "It is shameful the way we have been treated over the last few years! Shameful! Our workers, and I tell you we have a great many of them, can barely get to work thanks to disruption by protesters and all that hippie nonsense. And as for this dangerous talk of 'Ethical Trade Practices', I say we need full government recognition of our vital contribution to the economy - relaxation of trade barriers, gun laws, and a crackdown on all these long-haired weirdos who try to shut us down!"

"We have a right to protest against this evil business!" screams Mary Mombota through a megaphone. "The arms manufacturing industry is a stain on our nation's character and must be removed. How can we make money from the production of these evil weapons; how can we stand by and profit from the blood spilled by these abominations? The government must take a stand and outlaw the whole sector!"

Your Minister of Trade advises taking a middle ground: "We can't ban arms sales without harming the quality of our military and police departments, not to mention the economy. These hippies do have a point though - guns are terrible things in the wrong hands. We should implement additional safety checks on the groups to which the weapons get sold. That way we don't lose too many sales, and the people are persuaded we are making a stand against nations who use the weapons for immoral ends. The arms industry get to sell their guns and the protesters get to protest. Everybody wins!"
    My Pokefarm Q Account
    We chose option 3, which led to this outcome:

The arms industry is strictly regulated.

Reclassification

Dashnet's Political Freedoms rose from Some to Average.

Next issue:

Compulsory Gun Ownership?

The Issue

This weekend, a citizen's group calling itself Gun Owners of Dashnet has petitioned Congress with a controversial bill making gun ownership compulsory.

The Debate

"This is a very important step to securing the rights and lives of our families and controlling the government," urges noted gun ownership proponent Fleur Christensen. "Not only would it significantly decrease crime, but it would also effectively stop government tyranny in its tracks. Of course, this also means that every wacko and their cousin will have a gun, but don't worry, you'll have a gun to defend yourself from them, so it will all work out."

"While the Gun Owners of Dashnet have the safety and security of our people in mind, it would simply be impractical to enforce," comments Police Chief Jean-Paul Menner. "A better option would be to legalize, and encourage use of, concealed carry laws, which would allow responsible citizens to keep firearms with them at all times, on their person, to kill any wacko or their cousin who they think is threatening them."

"Compulsory gun ownership?! Concealed carry?! Are these fools nuts?!" rants an enraged Million Mummy March activist. "We don't need any of these things! What we need is complete gun registration, so that the government can track down dangerous people, like those people who possess unregistered weapons."

A lot of gun issues. :P
    My Pokefarm Q Account