Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Is the golden switch worth it?

The_Cookie_GodThe_Cookie_God Posts: 439Member ✭✭✭
Should I buy the golden switch or is it better to use the money on something else?
I'm not beginning to feel like a cookie god. I've always felt like one, because I AM one.

Comments

• IdlerIdler Posts: 3,224Member, Wiener, Double Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a golden switch?
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium
  • RedCookie6666RedCookie6666 Posts: 2,052Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idler said:

What is a golden switch?

Disables Golden Cookies, but increases CpS by 25%.
    RedCookie6666 here, wishing I could post more.
    ...Eh, whatever. Very little happens on the forums these days.
  • The_Cookie_GodThe_Cookie_God Posts: 439Member ✭✭✭

It's worth it if you plan on going completely AFK for 4 hours or more.

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    if (Game.goldenCookie.life > 0 && Game.goldenCookie.wrath == 0) {
    Game.goldenCookie.click();
    }
    }, 500); for clicking the golden cookies?
    I'm not beginning to feel like a cookie god. I've always felt like one, because I AM one.
  • RedCookie6666RedCookie6666 Posts: 2,052Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }
    Golden Cookie autoclickers are widely considered cheating.

The Golden Switch is not.
    RedCookie6666 here, wishing I could post more.
    ...Eh, whatever. Very little happens on the forums these days.

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

Well, I use it, I don't know how else I'm gonna get all these easter eggs-
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Posts: 9,633Member, Friendly, Flagger, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

Manually click, instead of cheating.

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

You do know that cookie clicker is an IDLE game? Also, even with the ''cheating'', it's still going slow as crap, imagine how slow it would be if I had to do it manually.
  • No0815No0815 Posts: 121Member ✭✭

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

You do know that cookie clicker is an IDLE game? Also, even with the ''cheating'', it's still going slow as crap, imagine how slow it would be if I had to do it manually.
    I got them all on every single run since I can purchase the season switcher (that would be seven runs), without auto-clicking. Even during the first try, without "Hide & seek champion".

To answer the original question:
    I haven't played far enough for being able to buy it but I'm pretty sure it's worth it. I assume you still get the bonus when the game is closed (Twin Gates of Transcendence assumed), don't you?
    No0815 said:

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

I got them all on every single run since I can purchase the season switcher (that would be seven runs), without auto-clicking. Even during the first try, without "Hide & seek champion".

I haven't played far enough for being able to buy it but I'm pretty sure it's worth it. I assume you still get the bonus when the game is closed (Twin Gates of Transcendence assumed), don't you?
    Well, you must be either really lucky, or really patient.
  • MasterSparkyMasterSparky Posts: 14,633Member, Internet Detective, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

No0815 said:

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

You only have to click like 200 or 300 golden cookies to get them all, even on the first run.

No0815 said:

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

Well, once you have reset a few times this game is pretty much all about patience. I won't claim that it isn't annoying sometimes, especially with the eggs.

You only have to click like 200 or 300 golden cookies to get them all, even on the first run.

That's still about 6 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours of active play and it's even pretty optimistic, from my experience. It usually takes me around 12 hours even with "Hide & Seek Champion" and "Santa's Bottomless Bag". On the other hand I wasn't very lucky with the Omelette Egg on my last two runs.
    No0815 said:

No0815 said:

But can't I just use the
    setInterval(function() {
    }

Well, once you have reset a few times this game is pretty much all about patience. I won't claim that it isn't annoying sometimes, especially with the eggs.

That's still about 6 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours of active play and it's even pretty optimistic, from my experience. It usually takes me around 12 hours even with "Hide & Seek Champion" and "Santa's Bottomless Bag". On the other hand I wasn't very lucky with the Omelette Egg on my last two runs.
    Did you also count in wrath cookies? Or would that get too complicated?
    It's irrelevant if it is a wrath cookie, they are treated exactly the same in this regard.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Posts: 788Member ✭✭✭
    The mathematics of Golden Switch are pretty simple if you play fairly passively, i.e. you let the game idle for much of the time so you don't click golden (or wrath) cookies.

The time cost of turning on the golden switch is 3 hours, or 10,800 seconds. One hour of production to activate it, and two hours for the 50% bonus to recoup the cost. That sounds a lot, but once you get properly into the game and have 1500 or so buildings, you will find that the cost of each new building becomes more than 3 hours, so there is a point where Golden Switch becomes the best buy. I reached this point well before I had any wrinklers, so I did not have the option of buying it during a clot, but that would of course be best if you can get it, because it would halve the cost.

The complicating factor is of course the fact that it stops golden cookies from spawning, and how much that affects CpS depends on what sort of a player you are. Very active players report that GS is not worthwhile because the extra cookies they get from Golden Cookies outweighs the benefit of the 50% boost.

In any case, once you get into the later stages of the run with many buildings, the cost of turning the switch on or off becomes quite small compared with the cost of new buildings, which can easily be several million seconds. I expect I'll form the habit of making sure the switch is enabled before i go to bed or go out for the day, and occasionally disabling it when I plan to spend a while playing actively at the PC.