Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

I've been making a griffin generator

SpaceShipRatSpaceShipRat Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 29 in General Discussion
I found this site, and spent some 15 hours over three days learning how it works and obsessing over a griffin generator. The design philosophy was "make people really want to draw it!" for every single result.

randomgen/?gen=GNbCh5A2
NEW: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=DZpS5VKY

It might seem simple, but under the hood, the color generator is a giant tangle, it's been finely tuned to have existing colors or variations of them occasionally show up as color details on other bodyparts, and never return silly things like "black with black spots". And the probabilities are carefully weighted, more exotic colors and patterns are harder to find, but all possible.

And beside the color, there's tons of other traits, some quite rare, like magical powers or horns!

Go see if you can get some crazy rare griffin.
Post edited by SpaceShipRat on

Comments

• SpaceShipRatSpaceShipRat Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    This worn young griffin has a playful bearing, a slim neck and narrow wings. It looks at you through tangerine hazel-rimmed eyes, set in a massive head. Its lean, spiked fur is a range of lilac. The wings have rounded grass green feathers, dim lilac-banded, which also cover the head and neck down to its chest and forepaws.
    As you warily approach, you see its forepaws are feathered from the wrist up and the tail is like a lion's, quite long with feathers at the tip. It has an orange, light lilac rimmed beak.
    Griffins are often vain: this one has carved ivory pendants decorating its ear.
    This griffin has taken defensive precautions, it is wearing an amulet made of carved wood, on its wrist. It protects its bearer from fire

Hah! great one, not only he's ridiculously bright, but... that amulet, lol.
  • MasterSparkyMasterSparky Member, Internet Detective, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist Posts: 14,718 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "This towering mature griffin has long limbs, a lean chest and stubby wings. It looks at you through fierce black eyes, set in a triangular head. Its matted, fluffy fur is mottled shimmery silver. The wings have slender snow white feathers, which also cover the head and neck down to its chest.
    As you warily approach, you see its ears are set wide and rounded, the head is crowned by a mobile crest of shimmery silver feathers and the tail is horselike, made of quite long fur. It has adamantine capped talons.
    Griffins are often vain: this one has opalescent baubles on its wrist."
    New version, remade color gen with some tips from the forum, it now uses the "hidden" function to secretly pick a palette of 3 colors every time, then the rest of the generator picks from those 3.
    Other improvements include new tails, jewelry, and armor that can be gem studded or inlaid with various patterns (it's basically dwarf fortress now! :P), and more easter eggs, some gryphons can get pretty scary. Plus formatting to make it easy on the eyes. (YAY)

/randomgen/?gen=DZpS5VKY

Aaaand there's the one who seems splendid, but ruins the effect in the last sentence:

It has a skinny chest, and backswept wings. Its lean fur is a range of russet, the feathers that run down to its waist are sunny and russet-barred. It has a black, darker rimmed beak.

As you warily approach, you see its forepaws are scaly up to the shoulder, the feathery mask around its eyes is much lighter sunny and it has an avian tail, forked like a swallow's.

Griffins are often vain: this one has opalescent charms decorating its wrist.

This griffin has taken defensive precautions, it is wearing plate armor of pink metal, roughly bent into shape
  • ThymeThyme Member Posts: 6
    I love this.
  • RiddleRiddle Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    This generator was so amazing that I had to go and make an account. The descriptions are beautiful, and with the extensive vocabulary, it forms a clear picture in the mind's eye. I thought that these generated griffins were interesting:

This ancient griffin looks at you through hollow green eyes, set in a triangular head.
    It has a deep chest, and tapered wings. Its patchy fur is mottled rust, the feathers that run down to its waist are forest green. It has slender talons.
    As you warily approach, you see its feathery mask around its eyes is faded white, the head is crowned by a large crest of black feathers and it has a catlike tail, thickly furred.
    Griffins are often vain: this one has colorful trinkets on its wrists.
    This griffin has taken defensive precautions, it is wearing platinum ringmail.

This man-sized mature griffin looks at you through half-lidded golden eyes, set in a triangular head.
    It has a wiry neck, and elliptical wings. Its patchy fur is faded sable, the pointed feathers that run down to its chest and forepaws are golden, darker-banded. It has slender talons.
    As you warily approach, you see its head is crowned by a tousled crest of darker feathers and it has a (from a different griffin I generated, I'll add in what was missing) [leonine tail, extremely long, tipped with a brush of black fur].
    Griffins are often vain: this one has cobalt-set peridot baubles decorating its four paws, but a half healed scar mars the perfection of its left flank.

Well, I guess that's all I have to say here.
    Riddle said:

This generator was so amazing that I had to go and make an account. The descriptions are beautiful, and with the extensive vocabulary, it forms a clear picture in the mind's eye. .

Thankyou so much! :D

those are quite pretty.

I've played with a new version which does pretty complex things with color, I went for something more readable but less suggestive.

?gen=tnqUQmxH

I never finished it, all the trinkets and armor are missing and there's probably bugs, but might as well throw it out there if people are interested. I'm actually now trying to learn Python, to do more complex things, like letting people choose some parameters before they generate, or narrowing down some traits according to others (like if you roll a baby griffin, not having it be clad in battle-armor and scarred XD).
    Bump, just because I remembered this exists. Try the one in the main post.
  • The_Cookie_MonsterThe_Cookie_Monster Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited March 29
    er... kk!

EDIT: Wow, this thing is amazing! *sigh* Why were all the good generators before my time (on the Forums)?
    I AM YODA
    all my friends in the whole entire world: @The_Cookie_Monster, @Drago_Meh, @Maniklas, @McJagger, @Lefian.
    I am r a i n b o w ! !
    "RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily." ~Lefian
    meh
    RIP being able to show off cool dragons easily.