Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Algorithm game thingy on a calculator that's actually pretty fun by Gouchnox?

GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,345Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
u smell nice

Ye, erm...
So why not posting the game algorithm thingy that I made on my calculator, hum?
It's written in TI Basic, so you'll need a TI calculator that's programmable, so.. like TI-80ish. I've got a TI-82+ if you're wondering.
And if you have a Casio for some reason, then your life is less happy, but hey, nobody is perfect [/bias]. Plus, I don't even think that it's as known as the TI in the wild world.
Yeah.

Code.

You're gonna have for quite a time to copy this, it's 1,700ish characters long.
If you have some trouble finding a specific character, then.... ask or something.
Also I feel the need to mention that underscores are spaces. Ye.

So, what is the game, how does it work, what is the meaning of life and all?
Well, the game is gonna basically display a series of nine 0s to you, with only one of them being a one, like this: "000100000", or that: "000000100". Each combination of 1 and 0s represents a number between 1 and 9, depending on where the 1 is on the line. So "000000001" is 1, "000000010" is 2, "000000100" is 3, and so on and so forth.
You goal is basically to enter the number that you see in your screen, so... you see "000010000", and you type 5, and your life is happy, and you can continue.
Now, a game that simple would be super duper boring, of course, bear with me.
The game can randomly add or remove some numbers from the number that is displayed. So before displaying the number with 0s and 1, the game can display something like "+2", or "-1", and you'll have to consider this in the number.
For example, the game displays: "+1" and "010000000". The number is an 8, because the 1 is the eighth starting form the right, but you'll have to add 1 to this 8, as shown by your screen, so you'll have to enter 9 instead of 8, and then the game continues. (note: you can get more than one at once. For example, "+2", "+1", "-2", "000001000" will be 4+2+1-2=5)
Now this is fine and dandy, but there's a difficulty system. Every 20 points you get (20 correct answers), the difficulty will increase.
At 20 points, you can get "+3" and "-3" on top of all the previous additions and subtractions that you could get. So... "+1", "-1", "+2", "-2", "+3" and "-3" can appear before your number.
At 40 points, you have a chance of getting reverse numbers. The number will appear on the right side instead of the left, which means that it is a reversed numbers. With reverse numbers, you'll have to count the 0s from the left of the number instead of the right. So.... a normal "000100000" is 6, but a reversed "000100000" will be 4.
At 60 points, you can get doubles. With doubles, the 1 in the middle of the number will be replaced by a 2, meaning that you'll have to multiply it by two when counting it. So "000000200" will be 3*2=6. And then, you apply all the additional "+3", "-1" and all. (note: you can get reverse doubles)
At 80 points.... man, you can get two numbers at once. So, on top of the additional numbers, the reverses, the doubles... you can have freaking two at once. The first has to be multiplied by 10, and then added to the second one.
Example: "-3", "+2", "+2", (reverse) "001000000", "000020000" will be 3*10+5*2-3+2+2=43

Now, you might be thinking right now that I'm super crazy and sick and stupid, and you'll be probably right. That gameplay sounds completely stupid and weird.
Trust me, I put a lot of thoughts (for once) into the gaming psychology, and I think that I've made a pretty "fun" game. I'm having fun, and I've showed it to someone who isn't as math-ish as me, and she asked me to send her the code 10 minutes after.
Have fun I guess?
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• ShylightShylight Posts: 6,470Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    edited April 2015
    Hey! I have Casio! It's completely different class though (not programmable) but it served me well :P
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now, from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed
  • LethrblakaLethrblaka Posts: 1,243Member ✭✭✭
    Wow, it looks so basic, yet the game mechanics sound complex. And you scared me, I thought it was 1,700 lines long, I misread "characters," that's still huge, but not quite as much, haha.

Now, add a timer to spice things up a bit. image
  • ExplodingCamelExplodingCamel Posts: 7,477Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would copy it, but I'm too lazy.
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Posts: 9,712Member, Friendly, Flagger, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
  • That_Cookie_GuyThat_Cookie_Guy Posts: 757Member ✭✭✭
    Shylight said:

Hey! I have Casio! It's completely different class though (not programmable) but it served me well :P

I use that same calculator!
    ree
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,345Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Now, add a timer to spice things up a bit.

1. It is not possible, as the program pauses itself when asking for you to enter a number. It's an algorithm, not a computer.
    2. I have thought about it of course, and even if it was possible, I would not add it, or maybe add it but as an option.
    One of the element that makes this game addicting, like flappy bird, is that you're the only one responsible for your errors. You didn't lose because of a hard boss, of a timer, or anything. The game is too stupid to trick you. You lost because you made an error when counting, or typing your screen in the case of flappy bird. I mean, the game is just randomly spawing pipes, it is not tricking you into dying! This is why you want to play more: it is not difficult. You have to beat yourself if you want to get a good score, and beating yourself at something always sounds possible in every situation ever, even if you are WR at speedruning a game!

threes (But wow thats a pain to make)
    triples (well k)
    +-4

One word: grindy typing.

You could make it so you skip the easy part and start at 35 and get something new every 15 or something.

Remove the first line.
    Congrats, what you've asked for is now a feature of the game.
    If you want to start at a higher difficulty, you just have to type "number→S" before starting the game, where number is your score. So... starting at 80 will be the highest difficulty of course.
    How do you think I debug and test?
    (Note: the score will reset none the less when loosing, but it won't if you force leave the game while playing. This is the obvious flaw of the system: when you remove the security system, you can get in easily, but you can get robbed too)
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • LethrblakaLethrblaka Posts: 1,243Member ✭✭✭
    Gouchnox said:

1. It is not possible, as the program pauses itself when asking for you to enter a number. It's an algorithm, not a computer.
    I was obviously joking when I made this comment (see the Kappa). But I hadn't even realised it wouldn't be possible since it's not a real computer algorithm. ^_^
  • Dont_questionDont_question Posts: 411Member ✭✭✭

Gouchnox said:

I was obviously joking when I made this comment (see the Kappa). But I hadn't even realised it wouldn't be possible since it's not a real computer algorithm. ^_^
    this is a real computer algorithm FailFish (btw FailFish is a emoticon like Kappa, but it doesn't work BibleThump)